• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

What scenario does it make to have a inner / Equi Join in a Application

Ranch Hand
Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser Redhat
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi ,

I am posting this question as it might be related to performance of an Application .

Hi ,

I am asking this question in terms of a Architet Point of View .

Can anybdy please let me know what does an Architect or any person think that there should be inner join in a Application .
Can anybody please tell me a scenario.

Waiting for your replies thanks in advance .

Ranch Hand
Tomcat Server Java Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Inner join in an application?

What do you mean a SQL inner join? This is very low level for an architect?

Ravi Kiran Va
Ranch Hand
Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser Redhat
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I mean to say that we can maintain a single table , rather than scatering the data across tables,

Remko Strating
Ranch Hand
Tomcat Server Java Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
This depends on the logic and how you want to combine your data with the tables. If you use an ORM-solution it could be logical that an object equals an table. I nowadays just follow this approach for simplicity and understanding. Over a few years when I have to rewrite my code I want to simply understand it.

I have experienced that most databases don't have a lot of performance problems joining different tables if you carefully use your indexes. Also mostly within forms and applications you just need some records and not all the records within a table.

Lately I was by a customer and just creating and using indexes solved a lot of performance problems.

We are in the performance forum. So is there a performance problem with the joins?

Bartender
Hibernate Eclipse IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Ravi Kiran V wrote:I mean to say that we can maintain a single table , rather than scatering the data across tables,

Data integrity. if you modelled a nullabel one-to-one relationship in a single table its only a matter of time before some applciaiton logic messes the data up. If you have non-nullable fields in a joined table but the relationship is optional your data is safer.

With modern databases, you do need to ramp up the joins to start to hit performance issue and you will know better than us if your application will frequently have to join multiple tables. If you have issues, indices will fix many and denormalizing part of the data will fix more. But I'd hesitate to go straight to denormilzation.

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic