• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

final variable initialization

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi, Why should we initialize final variable i.e., num1 where as we do not have to initialize non-final variable i.e., num2

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Look at it this way....you are trying to assign the value of num1 + i to num2. Say you pass in 3. So you are doing num2 = num1 + 3. How do you add 3 to num1 when you haven't given num1 a value yet?

Harikrishna Gorrepati
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Let me change the code..With this, there is no error. I am getting the error in 2 cases when final variable is NOT initialized with any value

1. declared constructor
2. try to get value from final variable (It is not taking default value i.e., 0)

Why ??

Ranch Hand
IntelliJ IDE Clojure Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Harikrishna Gorrepati wrote:Let me change the code..With this, there is no error. I am getting the error in 2 cases when final variable is NOT initialized with any value

1. declared constructor
2. try to get value from final variable (It is not taking default value i.e., 0)

Why ??

The final variable should be initialized in the same line, which were declared. Otherwise, you should initialize that variable in every Constructors or one of the instance initializer. Because, the final variable can be initialized only once. If it takes the default value, and because of the final, the value can't be changed in the future. So, this is non-sense. That's why, they don't get initialized with default value as like other non final instance variables.

Ranch Hand
Eclipse IDE MySQL Database Tomcat Server
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
this is from jls

Similarly, every blank final variable must be assigned at most once; it must be definitely unassigned when an assignment to it occurs. Such an assignment is defined to occur if and only if either the simple name of the variable, or its simple name qualified by this, occurs on the left hand side of an assignment operator. A Java compiler must carry out a specific conservative flow analysis to make sure that, for every assignment to a blank final variable, the variable is definitely unassigned before the assignment; otherwise a compile-time error must occur.

Ranch Hand
Eclipse IDE Chrome Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Refer this linkFinal for answer

Harikrishna Gorrepati
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks Mohit. This is a outstanding step by step tutorial.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic