• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

User validation

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
What are some common ways to validate an applet user? I have a database full of users, but I don't want to open ports in the firewall to allow outside machines to connect to the database. Is there another way to do this?

I tried googling, but all the examples I found were just for how to code a login prompt. I already have that. I just need to figure out how to validate my user.

Marshal
Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser MySQL Database
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
You have two choices, when you look at the problem at a high level.

You can do the authentication on the client, which involves accessing the database directly. But you've rejected that option (rightly so in my opinion).

So you're left with the other option, which is to do the authentication on the server. This would involve sending the credentials to some component running on the server and reading the response from that component. In an all-Java world that component would be a servlet, but of course there are other options.

Bai Shen
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Paul Clapham wrote:So you're left with the other option, which is to do the authentication on the server. This would involve sending the credentials to some component running on the server and reading the response from that component. In an all-Java world that component would be a servlet, but of course there are other options.

I'm gonna give this a try. It should work for my purposes.

Thanks.

Bai Shen
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
NM

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic