• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Erlang and parallelrisim

Ranch Hand
Firefox Browser Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
How does Erlang make it easier to right parallel systems ? Why is it used with telecom domain, can we use it in non-telecom projects ? I read that is is programming langauge, how do we integrate with existing code in some other langauge say java ?

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

How does Erlang make it easier to right parallel systems ?

I find Erlang makes it easier to make correct complex concurrent systems by using actors and having no shared memory. The benefit of actors is that you structure a system how you'd structure a collaborative workload among people. The benefit of no shared memory is that failures occur within single processes and those failures can be consistently managed using OTP supervisors.

Why is it used with telecom domain, can we use it in non-telecom projects ?

It is used in the telecom domain because Ericsson built it for that purpose. Erlang can be used for anything you want to use it for. I used it to build http://verafin.com/ with Zotonic, the Erlang CMS.

I read that is is programming langauge, how do we integrate with existing code in some other langauge say java ?

Erlang is indeed a programming language. As these two articles from my blog show, Erlang can be integrated with Java fairly easily using the JInterface library:
http://concise-software.blogspot.com/2009/08/concise-howtos-message-from-java-to.html
http://concise-software.blogspot.com/2009/08/concise-howtos-message-from-erlang-to.html

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Pradeep bhatt wrote:How does Erlang make it easier to right parallel systems ? Why is it used with telecom domain, can we use it in non-telecom projects ? I read that is is programming langauge, how do we integrate with existing code in some other langauge say java ?

First, see my answers to this question: https://coderanch.com/t/517451/threads/java/Erlang-OTP

Erlang is a general purpose programming language, and you can use it for pretty much anything. (I do!) There are several ways of integrating with code in C, Java, or any other language - our book contains several chapters about integration, and explain it in detail. For example, you can run an external program via an Erlang "port" and communicate over stdio (which is useful for running things like OS commands), or you can integrate a library function in C as a "Natively Implemented Function" (NIF), you can hook up to a Java program as a "Java node" using Jinterface, or you can simply communicate via TCP/IP using some suitable protocol.

Pradeep bhatt
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Sorry for the typo. I meant write ,not right.

What are the alternatives to Erlang?

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Pradeep bhatt wrote:Sorry for the typo. I meant write ,not right.

What are the alternatives to Erlang?

That depends on what you mean by alternatives. Erlang is a general purpose language so in that sense it can fit in where any other language can fit in. However, if you mean what are the alternatives that provide process isolation, message passing, massive concurrency, etc. Well there really isn't any. None that provide a similar combination of features as Erlang.

There are others that provide Massive Concurrency (Haskell, Gambit Scheme, Mozart-Oz, etc), but not that have this same unique combination of features.

Pradeep bhatt
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks author.

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic