• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Designer, Architect and Solution Provider

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi folks, I have 7+ years of experience in java/j2ee and hands on in SQL programming. I want to hone my technical skills , problem solving ability and envisioning solution. In short I want to be a good designer, an architect and solution provider in next few years.

I have been reading a couple of books on designing, architecting etc., but I feel that transitioning from a developer to designer/architect is extremely slow process and it is difficult to evaluate the progress itself. Sometimes it is very frustrating to know if any progress is being made at all.

Can some one guide me as to how I can actively get involved in speeding up my designing/architecting skill. Are there some forums/books that will help to exchange knowledge and experience with designer/architect and help me realize my dream.

Would the SCEA exam help to improve my skill as a designer/architect.

Any guidance will be appreciated.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
In the real world, there is no standard measure that says you are an architect now. It depends on your technical abilities, analytical skills and last but not the least experience. Its your own interest and the work you take up on a daily basis would make you an able architect in the due course of time.

Let me suggest you the following things
1.Take up SCEA/OCMJEA. It certainly won't transform you in to an Architect. But going through the whole process enlightens you on various concepts of J2EE, which you may not get to know otherwise. To become something, You should first know what needs to be done. So this process will guide you in that direction.
2.At work place, try to associate more with people who architect and design systems. Looking at your experience I believe it's not that hard for you to position yourself in such roles. This will give you the most important dimension, i.e hands on experience in building systems.

Hope it helps.

Good luck,
Anil Chowdary K

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic