• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Creating new user with full admin rights.

ranger
Mac IntelliJ IDE Spring
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I have a stupid question.

When I bought my MBP, I bought it through ebay, and the seller had everything installed and setup on the Laptop. He had just one user called macuser that had all the rights to everything.

However, I don't want a user called macuser, I always use bytor99999. So I created a new user bytor99999 thought I had given this user admin rights, I installed all my software as bytor99999, although the seller installed a couple pieces of software as macuser, which I can't access as bytor99999. Also, I cannot edit my .profile file in my home/bytor99999 directory, I think it says it is owned by macuser.

I am very annoyed with this and want to fix all my permission problems. Anyone have any suggestions to get bytor99999 to have admin access to everything?

Thanks

Mark

Sheriff
Mac Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE jQuery TypeScript Java iOS
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
When you view the account in System Prefs is it labeled "Admin" and have the "Allow use to administer this computer" checkbox checked?

Mark Spritzler
ranger
Mac IntelliJ IDE Spring
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Bear Bibeault wrote:When you view the account in System Prefs is it labeled "Admin" and have the "Allow use to administer this computer" checkbox checked?

\

Yep. Although I have to double check a little later tonight, Wife has me leaving now. ;)

THanks Bear

Mark

Bear Bibeault
Sheriff
Mac Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE jQuery TypeScript Java iOS
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
You should be able to use chown and sudo at the command line to change the ownership of all the files.

Mark Spritzler
ranger
Mac IntelliJ IDE Spring
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Bear Bibeault wrote:You should be able to use chown and sudo at the command line to change the ownership of all the files.

Actually, the ownership is fine. .profile is owned by bytor99999. But if I ever open it in TextEdit it says I can't save it, when I try to save it. But if I open terminal and use vi it is fine.

I now need to figure out how to get all the macuser stuff to bytor. I could use chown, the stuff in macuser's home directory then copy it over to bytor99999 home directory. I just feel like a thief that way. ;)

Mark

Mark Spritzler
ranger
Mac IntelliJ IDE Spring
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Sometimes my memory just leaves me.

I now recall deleting the macuser user a couple weeks ago. So I can't get the software that was installed under that user, which includes Windows 7 VMWare Fusion VM. No wonder I couldn't start Windows 7 up.

Mark

Get out of my mind! Look! A tiny ad!
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic