• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

URLyBird Unimplemented Fucntionality

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hey Guys,

for my URLyBird project I only have to implement search & update functionality. I'm going to implement the DB interface as requested. But I am not planning on writing the code for the methods I don't need e.g. "Delete". Just wondering if any of the guys who passed the exam didn't write the code for unneeded functions as well?

cheers

Sheriff
Hibernate jQuery Eclipse IDE Spring MySQL Database AngularJS Tomcat Server Chrome Java
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Caximus,

A warm welcome to the JavaRanch!

You must implement the given interface, so that's a must requirement. Violating such a request will result in (automatic) failure. So main question here is: is throwing an UnsupportedOperationException considered a valid implementation? I think if you have good argumentation for this decision in choices.txt, you might get away with it.

But are you willing to take such a risk? You might get failed, so you'll have to resubmit (and pay for another voucher) and if you need to resubmit after August 1, 2011 (and also think about the 4-6 weeks Oracle needs for grading) you'll have to fulfill the mandatory course requirement (which will be an extra 2000-3000 dollars).

And as far as I know you would be the 1st one trying to pass without implementing unneeded methods in the Data class.

The choice is yours

Kind regards,
Roel

Cathal Mullan
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hey Roel,

you are absolutely right. I shouldn't risk it, cheers for the advice.

What about the Business Manager & Server; did you implement operations such as read & delete for these?

cheers

Roel De Nijs
Sheriff
Hibernate jQuery Eclipse IDE Spring MySQL Database AngularJS Tomcat Server Chrome Java
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I used thin client, so only have find and book. But if you go for a thick/fat client, you are not required to add methods you don't need. But you could: when delete-functionality is added to the application, you won't need to deploy the server (because that one is already fully functional), you'll only need to change client code and deploy all clients again.

I would certainly add the read-method, because that one will certainly be useful (and will be used)

Cathal Mullan
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I will only allow for find & update services from my server.

I think it will make my code easier to understand for the exaiminer & it will be quicker for me to implement & I can concentrate on the specific requirements given to me,

Cheers for your advice Roel

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Roel De Nijs wrote:
But are you willing to take such a risk? You might get failed, so you'll have to resubmit (and pay for another voucher) and if you need to resubmit after August 1, 2011 (and also think about the 4-6 weeks Oracle needs for grading) you'll have to fulfill the mandatory course requirement (which will be an extra 2000-3000 dollars).
Roel

Hi Roel,

From my understanding, in another topic you and other ranchers finally find out that as long as we submit assignment and finish the essay exam before 1 August, we don't have to take course to get SCJD certification. (i.e. resubmit after 1 August will be no problem).

Do I misunderstand something? I would appreciate if you could clarify this.

Thank you.

Ranch Hand
Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
in that same topic ivan wrote:

Ivan Krizsan wrote:Bad news, boys and girls.
I wrote to Oracle and asked about resubmitting a failed assignment after August 1st and received this answer:

Yes, if the candidate has to retake any exam or assignment after 01 Aug 2011, then they have to complete the Hands-on course requirement.
Regards,
OCP Team

Enjoy!

Cathal Mullan
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I'm really annoyed at Oracle over this. I don't see why any1 would have to attend a course to learn Java. I can get all the info I need of books & forums.

I only saw this new requirement in April & I have been in an absolute rush ever since

Roel De Nijs
Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Hau Nguyen wrote:Do I misunderstand something? I would appreciate if you could clarify this.

Oracle changed their policy, as already indicated by Jonathan. So when you need to resubmit after August 1, 2011 you'll have to fulfill the mandatory course requirement

Hau Nguyen
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Roel De Nijs wrote:Oracle changed their policy, as already indicated by Jonathan. So when you need to resubmit after August 1, 2011 you'll have to fulfill the mandatory course requirement

Thank you very much Roel.

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic