• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Need Java Job in Germany

Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi guys,

I would like to know the process of securing a software job (Java developer) in Germany ( I just became fond of the country). I just started to learn the German language as I read most of the companies offer jobs only to German fluent professionals.

What do you think... can I get a job or i am just in an illusion

Bartender
MyEclipse IDE Firefox Browser Linux
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
What experience do you have ?
Have you worked with German clients before ?
Do you have special expertise that Germans do not have right now ? Competitive edge is what I am talking about. What would entice an employer to hire you instead of a citizen ?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

John Jai wrote:I just started to learn the German language

Aus bei mit nach zeit von zu!!

Hey I have no idea, but I just started to learn German too. Or to be more exact, I wanted to get a certificate in it, since I already know German quite good. I have no idea about your opportunities. But I know a nice site to improve your German:

http://www.vorleser.net/

Free audio books!

John Jai
Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Deepak Bala wrote:What experience do you have ?

i have 4 yrs of it experience. Technologies - java, hibernate, sql, xml. Have worked in Support team for one year

Deepak Bala wrote:Have you worked with German clients before ?

No all three clients i worked were US clients

Deepak Bala wrote:Do you have special expertise that Germans do not have right now ? Competitive edge is what I am talking about. What would entice an employer to hire you instead of a citizen ?

I dont think so. Do you mean only if i have competitive edge over all Germans i will get a job there?

Ranch Hand
Android PHP Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
i am an Java Programmer in Germany, and i am native german. I would say if your native language is English you should be ok if you are willing to learn german. In my area there is a lot of US military even as customers.

Regarding Java Knowledge, its pretty good to know JEE with Hibernate and Spring. But also Client side, jquery/html5/css3

John Jai
Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Torsten Oppermann wrote:I would say if your native language is English you should be ok if you are willing to learn german.

Thanks Torsten... i have started learning German.. hope you mean native language is what i was taught with and not my mother tongue..

Rancher
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
You'll be at a competitive disadvantage right from the start, because it sounds as if you may not (yet) be fluent in German; so there will be communication challenges that will make companies less willing to hire you. Plus, they'd need to jump through some hoops regarding visas and work permissions and such (since you didn't mention that, I'm assuming you have neither). Unless you bring some excellent domain or technical expertise to the table, I don't see many companies willing to go that extra mile. And I think it'd be illegal for you to compete on price, sort of like the H1B program in the USA is supposed to pay competitive wages.

Deepak Bala
Bartender
MyEclipse IDE Firefox Browser Linux
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

I dont think so. Do you mean only if i have competitive edge over all Germans i will get a job there?

Ulf's answer summarizes what I was getting to pretty well. For a company to want to hire you, they have to take extra pain since you are not a German. What skill do you have that would make them take that extra pain. Communication skills are also something to consider.

It is easier to integrate into the German society / work culture if you learn the language and spend some time there. Study there for example and then search for a job.

John Jai
Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks bala & ulf... I will rethink!
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic