• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Why headhunter ask for CMM level of your current organization

Ranch Hand
Spring Java Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi,

Recently some headhunter/consultancy employee criticize me when I told them I don't know CMM level of my company.
I told her, I'm a developer and I know how to develop things effectively and smartly, but she is not in mood of listening to that and hang up the phone in rude manner. Have I said something wrong ? Is that something to bother about ?

Bartender
Android Google Web Toolkit Mac Eclipse IDE Ubuntu Java
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
In my opinions, headhunters(at least in India) are slightly one level above semi literate children. They don't know technology. They are probably provided with a written script, and anything not in that script throws them off balance. I have had calls asking me if I knew "GUI language". I have had calls asking me if I was interested in a front desk position. (My resume has the words GUI, front end and desktop applications). I rest my case.

Do you work for a huge corporation. Whenever possible, it is always a good idea to know as much as possible about your employer.

Sagar Rohankar
Ranch Hand
Spring Java Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Maneesh Godbole wrote:In my opinions, headhunters(at least in India) are slightly one level above semi literate children.

+1 for this!

Maneesh Godbole wrote:They don't know technology. They are probably provided with a written script, and anything not in that script throws them off balance.

Maneesh, you just echoed my sentiments. In recent time I have been thru such situation where I was baffled by the yes or no kind of questions those guys ask.

Maneesh Godbole wrote:Do you work for a huge corporation. Whenever possible, it is always a good idea to know as much as possible about your employer.

Yep, the conversation forced me to do some "research" as far as various certification, CMM levels my company got. Interestingly, many colleagues of mine doesn't knew what the heck I was talking about.

Ranch Hand
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
They have wild mind. They can think of anything. If you get frustrated with them and tell them you are no more interested, they will think you have some probelem. For example they can suspect like, you do not know all the technlogies you mentioned on resume, you have back pain problem, you want to do this, you want to do that, you have memory loss problem, anything you can or can not think of, but recuriter's mind can think of. When you see these stupid people suspect this, you get more frustrated with them. I can write book on recruiters, I have studied them. They have very complex mind and I suspect they feel proud of their complex mind! I like technologies and I have learned many many technologies very deep. But it is not possible for anyone to remember everything I learn, they think he has loss of memory problem. If my back pained some time back because of over sitting, they will think he has permanent physical problem. For last one and half year, I did not attend any interview because I had lost interest. Now my recruiters think he has memory loss problem. I wouldn't be surprised if they suspect something else which I can not think of. There is no limit of what they can think of. The best way to deal with them is do not let them know what tricks they are playing with you, allow them to do whatever they want to do, but you need high tolerance level for that. Sometimes it is better not to respond to them, just ignore them. Let them think whatever they want. They also think learning technologies/architectures is easy because they know only names of technologies, they do not know what is inside. They do not know depth. I know many people who do bug fixing in struts project, but they do not know anything about struts. But recruiters do not understand difference between a person who genuinely know how struts work or a person who use some methods to fix bugs but does not know struts. For recuriters both are same.

Ranch Hand
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
There are some very good technical recruiters....very few and rare, but they exist. Very hard to find these individuals when needed.

Then we have another bunch that are simply lost. And most likely failed at their attemps in software engineering, so they became a salesperson.

Both of these types of recruiters still have equally tough time. There are many individuals that either are lying about their experience or lying about the
knowledge, skills and abilities they posses. With websites like Google and Johnnies 1000 Java Interview Questions, things get even tougher. It is easy to present yourself as an "expert" on the surface. And it takes a sharp and knowledgeable eye to see when someone is misrepresenting themselves. Many recruiters can't do this. Hence, the nonsense...

The best option is to deal directly with Human Resources staff of an organization, rather than headhunters or recruiters.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Parag Pathak wrote:They have wild mind. They can think of anything. If you get frustrated with them and tell them you are no more interested, they will think you have some probelem. For example they can suspect like, you do not know all the technlogies you mentioned on resume, you have back pain problem, you want to do this, you want to do that, you have memory loss problem, anything you can or can not think of, but recuriter's mind can think of. When you see these stupid people suspect this, you get more frustrated with them. I can write book on recruiters, I have studied them. They have very complex mind and I suspect they feel proud of their complex mind! I like technologies and I have learned many many technologies very deep. But it is not possible for anyone to remember everything I learn, they think he has loss of memory problem. If my back pained some time back because of over sitting, they will think he has permanent physical problem. For last one and half year, I did not attend any interview because I had lost interest. Now my recruiters think he has memory loss problem. I wouldn't be surprised if they suspect something else which I can not think of. There is no limit of what they can think of. The best way to deal with them is do not let them know what tricks they are playing with you, allow them to do whatever they want to do, but you need high tolerance level for that. Sometimes it is better not to respond to them, just ignore them. Let them think whatever they want. They also think learning technologies/architectures is easy because they know only names of technologies, they do not know what is inside. They do not know depth. I know many people who do bug fixing in struts project, but they do not know anything about struts. But recruiters do not understand difference between a person who genuinely know how struts work or a person who use some methods to fix bugs but does not know struts. For recuriters both are same.

And In India they (the recruiters) seem to think that you give 30%-40% hike to a techie and he'll be ready to change the job...

Aaaaaand ... we're on the march. Stylin. Get with it tiny ad.
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic