• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Mockito "when" problem

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I'm struggling trying to teach myself Mockito.

Consider the following method, hasInventory(), which should not really run in my way of thinking, but get set up to return true or false as I squirrel-cage my test. Class Warehouse is my "mocked-dependency".

In the JUnit test code, the first when() throws an exception because it literally interprets the method call (executing it) and, inventory being nil (see above), InventoryDoesNotExistException is thrown. There are other methods in the mocked-dependency class too, like add() and remove().

As I understand it, by the when() method, I'm asking Mockito precisely not to call hasInventory(), but just to return true instead whenever it's called as I test the class ("systemUnderTest"). Can anyone help me get past this point (or get some sense into my brain)?

I'm linking mockito-all-1.8.5.jar and JUnit 4.

Copious thanks to all who read this.

Russ

Russell Bateman
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hmmm... JavaRanch doesn't seem to be a heavily Mockito-inspired place. I ended up posting to stackoverflow and then to mockito@googlegroups.com. I asked the latter to post his answer to the former forum for better visibility. Here's the answer I got:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7584518/mockito-when-problem

Thanks anyway. (JavaRanch is a great forum notwithstanding!) I thought it would be nice to post this for the next guy.

Best,

Russ

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic