• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Tomcat manager takes forever to load after hard restart

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Tomcat will randomly decide to take forever retrieving URLs that would normally occur instantaneously. When this happens I run a shutdown.sh, find and kill the tomcat process that is still running after shutdown for some reason, then startup.sh it back up. Accessing manager/html takes many minutes after such a reset. It shouldn't be taking this long.

Has anyone else run into this problem?

Thanks!

Saloon Keeper
Android Eclipse IDE Tomcat Server Redhat Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

jd wong wrote:
Has anyone else run into this problem?

No. Does your machine have enough RAM? Does the disk light stop blinking and remain solidly on?

jd wong
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
It's a server, it is still running. It is only tomcat that freezes. What I do is cntrl+C it, then follow those steps i mentioned above. My machine has over 32G of ram, and tomcat usually runs fast on it. Could it be that running a hard restart (of tomcat not the machine) causes it to startup slower?

Cheers!

Tim Holloway
Saloon Keeper
Android Eclipse IDE Tomcat Server Redhat Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Unless either your hardware or Tomcat are damaged, Tomcat alone, or Tomcat + admin webapps typically starts up in under 10 seconds. You should be able to track the startup process in the stdout (catalina.out) file. You can try clearing out the TOMCAT_HOME/temp and TOMCAT_HOME/work directories to get rid of possibly-stale files before starting. I always do that when deploying a new version of a webapp.

On the other hand, one particularly ill-written app I once inherited took over 30 minutes to "start up Tomcat" because the fool that designed it attempted to load entire database tables into RAM on startup - in the servlet init methods.

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic