• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

After "core java", what should I learn to be ready for entry-level jobs ?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I know Java quite well and did some of my own projects. Know a bit of JDBC and databases too. But that seems to be not enough to get an entry level job.

Interested in doing only back-end development for now. I want an entry level job (unpaid ok too) where I can learn things like hibernate ORM, Spring etc
on the job and also get some experience. Until I crack an interview, I will have to do some study (and some more projects) on my own. But there are
too many technologies to be studied. I want to get a list of topics/technologies which are bare-bones or must haves to be employable in an
entry level position.

I see that a lot of entry level java jobs ask for Java, Hibernate, Spring, XML besides REST, SOAP, JSF, JMS, JSON and so many names like these that I don't know about.
Maybe Java tech is not enough. Should I do HTML, CSS and JavaScript too ?

I am guessing that a basics/bare bones/must haves list has - Java, Hibernate, Spring, Eclipse, SVN/Sub Version or GIT, JDBC, SQL , XML or JSON, Any Scripting Language.
Would this be enough to get an entry level position ? Should I remove something from this list ?

Lexington Smith
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I saw this post - https://coderanch.com/t/33318/Jobs/careers/kind-skills-does-Java-developer
But, what is the bare minimum needed ? I doubt if entry level positions always need to make native calls.
So, that that would put C, C++ to the "extras" or "nice to have" list.

Sheriff
Mac Android IntelliJ IDE Eclipse IDE Spring Debian Java Ubuntu Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
As with any advice, you should take this with a grain of salt (or two).

You shouldn't worry too much about the many technologies there are to learn. There are just too many for one person to know. Pick a few and concentrate on those. Familiarity with Spring, JDBC/ORM, JMS, web services and technologies like Javascript (JQuery, node.js), HTML5, CSS will give you good general, cross-functional knowledge and adaptability. Basic knowledge of tools like Git, Subversion, Maven, Gradle, JUnit, and mocking frameworks are also useful because they make you a more productive developer.

One thing that might set you apart from other entry-level candidates is a familiarity with Agile software development techniques. Knowledge of Test-Driven Development is becoming more and more something that I look for when I do interviews. I don't really look for knowledge in specific technologies when I interview junior level candidates. What I look for is a basic understanding of principles: Object-orientation, design, testing. You should have good programming habits. Read "Clean Code" by Robert Martin to get an idea of what I'm talking about. I also try to see how well they will work with others (you'll do that a lot of that if you're a junior developer) and I like it when they are open to coaching and mentoring. The candidates who show an eagerness to learn and an ability to pick up on things that I teach them during an interview (I do something that's really more of an audition rather than an interview) are the ones who I am more likely to consider for the job.

Naturally, you want to see if any of this aligns with the culture of the company that you're applying to. Don't be afraid to ask the recruiter or someone in the department that you're interviewing for about their development environment and culture.

Good luck.

author & internet detective
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Lexington Smith wrote:Interested in doing only back-end development for now.

Why? Having your heart set on a specific language (Java) is already limiting. Limiting what you want to do to back end only, restricts the possible jobs even more. If a company is interested in giving you experience, why does it have to be such a specific thing.

When I got my first job, I didn't have any language in particular in mind. I like to program. That's not language specific.

Bartender
Netbeans IDE C++ Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Junilu Lacar wrote:... good general, cross-functional knowledge and adaptability. ...

With this toolbox you are well equipped.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic