• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

How vedic people knew about the Existence of the Planets

Ranch Hand
Java Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
How vedic people knew about the Existence of the Planets.Its really seems Strange isnt it.We all discovered by using the Telescopes Rockets etc. Its also mentioned in Baghvad Geeta that your spirit can travel anywhere using some degree of medidation.is it because of that

Sheriff
Netbeans IDE Oracle Firefox Browser
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
You need telescope to see Uranus and Neptune - and they are so hard to spot they were discovered only relatively recently. But the other five planets are visible to the naked eye - Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn. They were known to people - who often watched the skies very earnestly - since the dawn of civilizations (although Mercury is so hard to spot that one of the medieval astronomers - Copernicus, I believe - is said to never have seen it on his own eyes). So the existence of most of the planets was undoubtedly established using rather material means.

Rancher
Mac OS X VI Editor Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I would love to know how early man was able to discover that by watching the night skys, they could predict the seasons. This was a huge step forward, without it, when do you plant crops?

Bartender
Netbeans IDE C++ Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Pat Farrell wrote:I would love to know how early man was able to discover that by watching the night skys, they could predict the seasons. This was a huge step forward, without it, when do you plant crops?

I think early man did not need the nightsy for that. Just like a cow or duck doesn't need to know the nightsky to start thinking about new offspring.

Martin Vashko
Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Perhaps I'm wrong, but I've always though that people of the past watched the skies so dutifully (and, as a consequence, spotted the planets at all, since they were moving on the background of the static stars) precisely because their agriculture depended on it. I'd be really surprised if people had an agricultural instinct similar to breeding instincts of animals. At least I haven't heard of an "agricultural hormone" yet

Jan Cumps
Bartender
Netbeans IDE C++ Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
If I look at farmer's wisdom in our language, it is often refering to events in nature, like:

Particalar bird sings: plant peas
River retracted to it's summer tract: plant something else.
If this or that plant gets leaves or flowers: do ...

Martin Vashko
Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
That's true, of course. I didn't understand what you mean at first. But weren't calendars constructed precisely because the weather lore was not reliable enough?

Bartender
Android Google Web Toolkit Mac Eclipse IDE Ubuntu Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Pat Farrell wrote:I would love to know how early man was able to discover that by watching the night skys, they could predict the seasons.

I think this must have been since a very long time ago. I remember reading in some Clive Cussler novel that Venus was sacred to the latin american cultures and drove their crop cycles. It seems Venus is visible in the latin american sky all year round, except 8 days. So those cultures built precise astronomical labs to observe and plot Venus's progress in the sky.

Marshal
Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser MySQL Database
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Maneesh Godbole wrote:It seems Venus is visible in the latin american sky all year round, except 8 days. So those cultures built precise astronomical labs to observe and plot Venus's progress in the sky.

Well, yeah, that's true in everybody's sky. When Venus passes between the sun and the earth, there's a period of about 8 days where it can't be seen because it's lost in the sun's glare. You don't have to be in Belize to see that.

Maneesh Godbole
Bartender
Android Google Web Toolkit Mac Eclipse IDE Ubuntu Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Vishal Hegde wrote:How vedic people knew about the Existence of the Planets.Its really seems Strange isnt it.We all discovered by using the Telescopes Rockets etc.

I would say it would be a result of natural human curiosity, power of observation and analytical ability. Not really unsurprising, considering there was no TV or books or internet to keep you awake at night. On the other hand you had a fantabulous show like this every night

source

Vishal Hegde wrote:Its also mentioned in Baghvad Geeta that your spirit can travel anywhere using some degree of medidation.is it because of that

With the right kind of spirits, one does not need any meditation. For e.g. I was on mars last night

lowercase baba
Chrome Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Jan Cumps wrote:If I look at farmer's wisdom in our language, it is often refering to events in nature, like:

Particalar bird sings: plant peas
River retracted to it's summer tract: plant something else.
If this or that plant gets leaves or flowers: do ...

Let's not forget that the constellations change throughout the course of they year. I know it's winter when I can see Orion at a particular time of night. As spring comes, the position of Orion at my bedtime changes, getting lower and lower, and eventually I can no longer see it, thus I know it is Spring and time to plant.

Bartender
Firefox Browser Fedora Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Maneesh Godbole wrote:For e.g. I was on mars last night

And the rover sent images of "highly evolved" alien life on mars.

Sheriff
Mac Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE jQuery TypeScript Java iOS
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Maneesh Godbole wrote:On the other hand you had a fantabulous show like this every night

Well, if it were me, I know I'd certainly rather be looking at the stars than an elephant's butt.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
What I can't figure out is how they knew what each constellation represented. I mean, how did they discover that this constellation is a crab, that one is a bear, and this other one is an archer, etc.?

Sadly, the attempt to generalize prediction of the weather from the stars and planets to the forecasting of individual people's fortune and fate was never completely successful.

Java Cowboy
Android Scala IntelliJ IDE Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Frank Silbermann wrote:I mean, how did they discover that this constellation is a crab, that one is a bear, and this other one is an archer, etc.?

Wait, do you really mean that it isn't immediately obvious to you that this is looks like a bear?

Pat Farrell
Rancher
Mac OS X VI Editor Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Frank Silbermann wrote:What I can't figure out is how they knew what each constellation represented. I mean, how did they discover that this constellation is a crab, that one is a bear, and this other one is an archer, etc.?

Extreme amounts of booze or drugs

Amit Ghorpade
Bartender
Firefox Browser Fedora Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
For me it is immediately obvious that an inverted + tilted question mark and bear have similarities unknown to laymen.

fred rosenberger
lowercase baba
Chrome Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Jesper de Jong wrote:Wait, do you really mean that it isn't immediately obvious to you that this is looks like a bear?

It would help if you posted the ENTIRE Ursa Major constellation, and not just the head and shoulders:

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic