• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator

Image from Amazon
Title: The Scrum Field Guide: Agile Advice for Your First Year and Beyond (2nd Edition)
Author(s): Mitch Lacey
Publisher: Addison-Wesley Professional
Category: Process

Summary

Amazon wrote:Extensively revised to reflect improved Scrum practices and tools, this edition adds an all-new section of tips from the field.
The 1st Edition has a 5-Star Amazon Customer Rating and 134 reviews.

Thousands of organizations are adopting Scrum to transform the way they execute complex projects, in software and beyond. This guide will give you the skills and confidence needed to deploy Scrum, resulting in high-performing teams and satisfied customers. Drawing on years of hands-on experience helping companies succeed, Certified Scrum Trainer (CST) Mitch Lacey helps you overcome the major challenges of Scrum adoption and the deeper issues that emerge later.

Lacey covers many new topics, including immersive interviewing, collaborative estimation, and deepening business alignment. In 35 engaging chapters, you'll learn how to build support and maximize value across your company.

Now part of the renowned Mike Cohn Signature Series on agile development, this pragmatic guide addresses everything from establishing roles and priorities to determining team velocity, setting sprint length, and conducting customer reviews.

Book Preview (when available)

From the publisher
  • Table of Contents
  • Chapter 27: Documentation in Scrum Projects (PDF)
  • Corrections (PDF)

• Where to get it?
  • Amazon.com
  • InformIT

• Related Websites
  • Author's Website
  • The official Scrum Guide PDF
  • COMMENTS:

author & internet detective
    Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies
    I wrote the following about the first edition:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The Scrum Field Guide" is a nice way to get started with Scrum. It covers the practices through useful stories and advice. Heavier on the advice side. The stories seem realistic and highlight important points.

I liked the tables and tips provided. For example how to estimate the first time and how to map pre-Scrum roles. And I loved that there was a whole chapter on "done." I also liked the concept of corporate mandates being a tax on your time.

I also liked the practical advice and explanations such as why it is a bad idea for the product owner and Scrummaster to be the same person. Along with what compromises in roles are better to make than others.

I will definitely be recommending this book to my teammates!
    And now for the second edition:
    It's been four years. In addition to recommending this book to those getting started with Scrum, a good number of people have borrowed my copy to look at it.

I read the second edition. I liked the same things as the first edition. I like that the author says he “refactored” the book. He says in most chapters 10-80% has changed and part five is new. I'm willing to believe that. It's been too long since I read the first one to remember.

I liked the new parts. I also liked that I was able to get different things out of the parts I had already read. I have a lot more knowledge and experience with Scrum now than I did four years ago. This time, I was able to get more out of the analogies like vlecoity being like a speed odometer. I also liked the quiz on how long a good sprint for your team.

While I don't think the book is different enough to be worth “upgrading” if you already have the first edition, I definitely recommend either it or the first edition to anyone using or thinking about using Scrum.

I give this book 10 out of 10 horseshoes.
    ---
    Disclosure: I received a review copy of this book from the publisher for reviewing it on behalf of CodeRanch.

Greenhorn
    • Likes 1
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies
    Being a Scrum Master in my company, which is new to Scrum (albeit not new to agile), I find this book an invaluable resource to get started.

I was browsing through quite some literature, after our introductory 2 days workshop about Scrum left me and my team with more questions than answers. However, most other books were too shallow to really get our very practical questions answered. Not this one, though.

This book really got us going! Just the right stuff to know HOW to implement Scrum after the euphoria initially kicks in.

10/10 horseshoes from me as well.

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
      Bookmark Topic Watch Topic