• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

zipCreation utility

author & internet detective
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Cristian,
Are you still on WSAD 4? WSAD 5 and RAD 6 have this built in.

Cristian Negresco
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hello,

First of all thank you Jeanne for your answers.
Funny, I thought this might be the reason for which is not available for download and checked it. Checked it once more after your message but still I was not able to find it.

I mainly need to have a virtual project which creates a jar out of file system resources. The project should realize when one of the resources has changed and rebuild the output jar. The output jar is to be put in /WebContent of a war.

If there is something like that in WSAD (I use 5.1.1) please let me know where to find/activate it. I could of course create a Java project but then I could not access resources outside the directory where the Java project was created.

I would also like the jars to be signed, but that's already a different story.

Regards,
Cristian

Jeanne Boyarsky
author & internet detective
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Cristian Negresco:
I mainly need to have a virtual project which creates a jar out of file system resources. The project should realize when one of the resources has changed and rebuild the output jar. The output jar is to be put in /WebContent of a war.

Zipcreator was replaced by the concept of project utility jars (which is probably why you can't find it.) You create a java project with your code. Then you add it as a project utility project for your EAR. It automatically gets jar'd up into a jar in the EAR that any projects in the EAR can reference. I haven't tried it with a war though. To try that out, you would go to the J2EE perspective. In any case, it is usually ok to store the jar in the EAR directory or subdirectory.

I could not access resources outside the directory where the Java project was created.

Why not? It is just Java code which inherits the environment of its caller. If you call it from a servlet, the Java code has access to the web project's resources.

I would also like the jars to be signed, but that's already a different story

Consider Ant. In fact, this may solve all your problems . You can configure an Ant script to run every time you modify a project. Just point to it as an "external tool builder" on the project properties.

Cristian Negresco
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hello,

" Zipcreator was replaced by the concept of project utility jars (which is probably why you can't find it.) You create a java project with your code. Then you add it as a project utility project for your EAR. It automatically gets jar'd up into a jar in the EAR that any projects in the EAR can reference. I haven't tried it with a war though. To try that out, you would go to the J2EE perspective. In any case, it is usually ok to store the jar in the EAR directory or subdirectory.
Why not? It is just Java code which inherits the environment of its caller. If you call it from a servlet, the Java code has access to the web project's resources. "

My problem is that I wan't to see and pack sources outside of the Java Utility project. The need stems from the fact that I have non-J2EE projects: a JWS one.

" Consider Ant. In fact, this may solve all your problems . You can configure an Ant script to run every time you modify a project. Just point to it as an "external tool builder" on the project properties."

Yes!, that was the solution. Thank you.

Cristian

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic