• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Heavy processing in Oracle database?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi All,

I am working in an application where I need to be able to process at worst... 620,000+ records. I need to compare data between 2 tables, the first table has 620k records which i need to manipulate and roll upto 20,000 records, these then need to be compared against another 20,000 records in table2.

Our application uses Spring framework and Oracle 10g. It is a web application used internally, when the user clicks a button this processing and comparing needs to happen on the fly and return data to the user. It is not a batch job overnight or anything. I am wondering is this feasible given that it needs to happen on the fly? Also what approach is best, can we use cursors for this? I am not too familiar with using cursors in oracle...are they used just for batch jobs? What about stored procedures?

Any help will be much appreciated from you db experts out there.

Many thanks!

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic