• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Is This an Actor or Not

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi all,
I am working on a project in which client is not directly interface with the system but client complains (or report )some
probelm .Data entery operator listens a phone call or fax from
the client and communicates with the system and return a system generated case no to the client so that the client may inquire for his case any time .
My question is that the client is a valid actor or not ???
I think data entry operator is a valid actor because it directly
communicates with the system.
Awais Bajwa

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Awais,
Actors are external things which interact with your system.Since DataEntry Operator interacts with your system, he is an actor.
Always model actors as roles that people can play.
A client could also be an Actor.However, this is going to depend on how you want to model your system.Let us assume that you want to automate the system, such that the System is capable of converting the voice data to the relevant fields it requires.If that is the case, the client would be playing a role of a DataEntryOperator, or rather a DataEntryOperator is not actually required.Now as the client directly interacts with the system, it can be considered as an actor.
Hope this helps,
Sandeep

Awais Bajwa
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks sir,
But i am still not clear that client is not directly communicating but just communicating with the operator
and after all actor should physically communicate with the
system.

Sheriff
Eclipse IDE Python C++ Debian Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
The important thing to decide is what you want to model. If you are modelling the whole business process which involves your software system (and this is usually a very good idea), it is vital that the customer -> operator -> system -> operator -> customer interaction is also modelled. That way you can expand your system, if required, to include a more direct communication with these remote customers.
If you are really only concerned with the narrow issues of the software itself, then only consider the operator <-> system interaction. But by doing so you are limiting yourself to not considering possibilities (such as direct remote access) which the existing customers would dearly love if they knew they were even possible.

Desai Sandeep
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
The Sherrif said it better than I did .
The point is how would you like to model your system.
Consider you are doing a Business Process Re-engineering (BPR) of an existing system.Since the DataEntryOperator is employed with a firm, the firm(which includes the DataEntryOperator) could become your System.The actor would be the Customer in this case.
As I said, look at the roles when you decide on the actor.Would also like to add, you would need to decide on System Boundary before saying who is an actor.
In the above example, the DataEntryOperator is within the System, hence Customer becomes an actor.If not, the actor is the DataEntryOperator on behalf of the Customer.
Hope this makes some sense.
Thanks,
Sandeep
[This message has been edited by Desai Sandeep (edited June 01, 2001).]

Do the next thing next. That’s a pretty good rule. Read the tiny ad, that’s a pretty good rule, too.
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic