• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Book: Depth of Case Studies?

Ranch Hand
Hibernate Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Good morning.

First - it definitely looks like an interesting book, one I'm certainly going to want on my bookshelf at first blush. So at least that piqued my interest.

What I'm wondering is this - how 'in depth' are the case studies? From looking at the table of contents, it seems there are only case studies to cover three portions of the information rather than a conceptual (perhaps even rather a quick "fly-by") overview of a broader set, but that might be just a thought from the brief notation on the page. If you could answer, I'd be most appreciative.

Thanks!
[ January 18, 2006: Message edited by: Ilja Preuss ]

Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Theodore,

Thanks for your positive comments. The case studies discuss what problems were found in three of the audits that I did, and what was done to remedy those problems. In one case study, there is even a very short code snippet to illustrate the nature of a problem that was found, but in general the case studies are at an issue level rather than a code level. The issues are related back to the sections in the book that discuss those issues. The description of the remedies is at a process and task level. I hope this helps to answer your question.

- Cliff

Theodore Casser
Ranch Hand
Hibernate Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi, Cliff,

That definitely does give me a better idea of what the book contains, yes. Thank you very much for the prompt and helpful response.

--T.J.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Cliff Berg:
Hi Theodore,

Thanks for your positive comments. The case studies discuss what problems were found in three of the audits that I did, and what was done to remedy those problems. In one case study, there is even a very short code snippet to illustrate the nature of a problem that was found, but in general the case studies are at an issue level rather than a code level. The issues are related back to the sections in the book that discuss those issues. The description of the remedies is at a process and task level. I hope this helps to answer your question.

- Cliff

I like the idea that the book covers problems at the issue level instead of the code level, and the problems actually existed in the real business world. Are you planning to write any other books like this?

Thanks,
Eric

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic