1) if the plugin is open-source, plugin developers should be required to distribute it with (an) IntelliJ project file(s) so that one can easily retrieve, debug and improve the plugin.
1a) would be nice to have a dialog or feature to pull plugin source down with the plugin (jEdit supports this), optionally pulling in the plugin project or plugin module(s)
1b) some way to encourage collaboration would be useful. for example, if plugin developers were hosted on site X (sourceforge, google code, codehaus, java.net), it would nice neat if IntelliJ could take care of the grunt work of getting CVS/SVN set up so that source code could be downloaded, and patches could be submitted more easily
2) the JetBrains team could help by marking older plugins which have been superseded by features in newer releases of IntelliJ. currently there is no filtering on the plugin list, which includes very old plugins that are no longer useful past a certain version.
JIRA issue please?
3) the plugin dialog could be extended
3b) to show the number of votes on a plugin
4) a quick tool to vote on plugins would be useful--for example, when disabling or removing a plugin, an option to vote and comment (to be posted to the plugins website)
5) some way to capture activity in plugin development would be helpful--e.g. plugins released just once would have a lower rating than those regularly updated
6) include vote categories for "stability", "configurability"
7) when a plugin throws an exception (or is suspected as the cause), it would be great to be able to
7a) disable the plugin immediately
7b) vote on it
7c) file an issue or
7d) submit a comment to the plugins site
7e) track the number of exceptions thrown per plugin, across users > (optional, of course, as this info would be uploaded)
9) nice to have--assuming the source was available, a PMD or Checkstyle configuration could verify (and warn) if the plugin performs IO, network operations, etc. (esp. for plugins with no email address or home page).
This request is not really specific to plugin development - this is a general issue of checking out code from a repository and creating a project for it. We've improved support for this scenario in version 7.0, and if you have specific suggestions how to improve it even further, feel free to post JIRA issues.
I am a man of mystery. Mostly because of this tiny ad:
free, earth-friendly heat - a kickstarter for putting coin in your pocket while saving the earthhttps://coderanch.com/t/751654/free-earth-friendly-heat-kickstarter