• Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic

build.xml ... what am I doing wrong?

 
Donald Wedding
Ranch Hand
Posts: 72
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Here is my build.xml



c:\ant
Buildfile: build.xml
BUILD FAILED
Error reading project file: Invalid byte 1 of 1-byte UTF-8 sequence.
Total time: 1 second
 
Barry Andrews
Ranch Hand
Posts: 523
C++ Java Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
You need to put endcoding="UTF-8" in the xml line
 
Greg Charles
Sheriff
Posts: 2989
12
Firefox Browser IntelliJ IDE Java Mac Ruby
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I don't have that in my build.xml files. My xml lines look just like his. Do you think Donald is in a different locale, or is he using unusual characters that I don't see?
 
Barry Andrews
Ranch Hand
Posts: 523
C++ Java Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Donald,
What locale are you using, English? You can email me your build.xml file and I can run it on my machine to see if I get the same error.

Barry
 
Donald Wedding
Ranch Hand
Posts: 72
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Well, I kept banging my head on this. I took the hints from your posts and I started looking at the characters individually.
I just discovered that one of my " characters was a funny looking " (almost italics looking) I don't know how it happened or how it got there. Heck, my keyboard doesn't even make that character. Anyways, I typed over it and voila, it works.
I wish that I had first tried the "encoding="UTF8" that was suggested. I'm interested to see if that would work.
Thanks for all your help! Your posts put me onto the solution.
 
Hans Freund
Greenhorn
Posts: 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Originally posted by Donald Wedding:

I just discovered that one of my " characters was a funny looking " (almost italics looking) I don't know how it happened or how it got there. Heck, my keyboard doesn't even make that character. Anyways, I typed over it and voila, it works.

This could come from copy and paste. For example, if you copy a code snippet out of a browser and paste it into a text editor without proper encoding, the resulting text could contain special characters
[ February 27, 2004: Message edited by: Hans Freund ]
 
Sergio Rico
Greenhorn
Posts: 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Simple typos can cause this too - � instead of $ in a property reference for example.
 
Bear Bibeault
Author and ninkuma
Marshal
Pie
Posts: 65124
91
IntelliJ IDE Java jQuery Mac Mac OS X
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Especially beware of cutting from Word, Publisher and other similar programs. They often convert simple typed "'s into "smart quotes" which are invalid characters in this context.
[ September 24, 2004: Message edited by: Bear Bibeault ]
 
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic