• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic

Linux  RSS feed

 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 985
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
What is the best way that I can obtain knowledge of Linux. I want to learn which Linux version is the most commonly used, how to install Linux, and other questions? Also, is there a good book that can provide assistance?

Thanks,
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 1906
1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Originally posted by Jesse Torres:
What is the best way that I can obtain knowledge of Linux. I want to learn which Linux version is the most commonly used, how to install Linux, and other questions? Also, is there a good book that can provide assistance?

Thanks,

Linux is not so meaningless.
I just now installed Mandrake 10.0 official version on my laptop.XP is also there.Best linux version in GUI IMO is Mandrake and then Red Hat.www.linux.org is best site to start.Many Linux books are downloadble.
 
Jesse Torres
Ranch Hand
Posts: 985
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Originally posted by Arjun Shastry:

Linux is not so meaningless.
I just now installed Mandrake 10.0 official version on my laptop.XP is also there.Best linux version in GUI IMO is Mandrake and then Red Hat.www.linux.org is best site to start.Many Linux books are downloadble.


I did not mean to undermine Linux, by commencing a Linux thread on the Meaningless Drivel forum. I actually gave no thought when posting my Linux thread.

Nevertheless, I have never had exposure to Linux. As a result, I want to gain as much exposure to Linux as possible. I want to install Linux (preferably on my laptop that is already running XP Pro), learn how to install drivers, how to install programs on Linux, and how to use the OS in general. I will now visit Linux.org, to learn whatever I can.

Thanks,
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 15304
6
Chrome IntelliJ IDE Mac OS X
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Moving to our Linux forum...
 
blacksmith
Ranch Hand
Posts: 1332
2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Jesse, to answer one of your original questions, RedHat is the most commonly used version of Unix, even though many people don't think it's the best version.
[ October 01, 2004: Message edited by: Warren Dew ]
 
Jesse Torres
Ranch Hand
Posts: 985
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Originally posted by Warren Dew:
Jesse, to answer one of your original questions, RedHat is the most commonly used version of Unix, even though many people don't think it's the best version.

[ October 01, 2004: Message edited by: Warren Dew ]


Should I concentrate on learning version RedHat?
 
Arjun Shastry
Ranch Hand
Posts: 1906
1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I tried to install Red Hat 9 and then Fedora many times on my laptop.It succeeded 2 times but again X Server crashed so finally yesterday I installed Mandrake and now its working.Linux in general has a problem of getting installed on laptop in my experience.
I will suggest while installing on laptop any Linux version
1)Do not install X server
2)Do not install KDE or GNOME
3)Other development tools and Games etc. for the first time.
Try to install necessary what is required to get familier.Then you can proceed with GUI tools above depending on success.
Regards
Red Hat during installation ,something fails,it does not allow you to move forward.Mandrake does.
 
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
Boost this thread!