• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Liutauras Vilda
  • Tim Cooke
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Bear Bibeault
Sheriffs:
  • Knute Snortum
  • paul wheaton
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Tim Moores
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Ron McLeod
  • Piet Souris
  • Ganesh Patekar
Bartenders:
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • salvin francis

MacBook Pro - CPU upgrade worth it?

 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 464
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hi All

I am looking at binning my G4 12" PB for the new MacBook Pro. I want to spec it highly but looking at the configuration options there are two CPU choices.

Intel DUO 2.0GHZ is standard. The upgrade available is to 2.16GHZ. This costs �210.00 (about $360USD).

My question is, in people's opinion, is �210 reasonable for an upgrade of 160MHZ? Am I missing something? If it is then I will go for it as I like to have the best spec available but I am not sure how much bang for my buck that will give.

What do you reckon?
 
author
Posts: 8996
19
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hey Rick -

I reckon if you gotta have it right now, it's not worth the upgrade. But rumors are flying around that in about 4 months they are going to announce a really HUGE performance upgrade for MacBook Pros - so if you need the fastest you might want to wait a few months - the rumors are that this upcoming upgrade is a really big jump in performance.
 
Rick Beaver
Ranch Hand
Posts: 464
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Bert

Thanks - that is really useful information. I think I will hang on if they are going to release a new model in a few months. I am pleased I found that out;
 
Sheriff
Posts: 11343
Mac Safari Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I agree with Bert: Wait and see what the next bump is.

As things stand now, I would not pay that amount for the upgraded processor, but I really don't do much that pushes the limits anyway. (Personally, I'm thinking about a MacBook Pro early next year -- maybe when Leopard comes out.)

Oh, and if your old PowerBook needs a new home...
 
Rick Beaver
Ranch Hand
Posts: 464
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
The 17" was released recently. Do you think there will be another upgrade soon? Should I wait a bit longer or go for the 17"?

Thanks again
 
Bert Bates
author
Posts: 8996
19
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I'm not totally sure, but I think the 17" has the same processor family as the 15". I think that for both size machines a newer generation chip is in the works. I think the 17" really just boils down to more pixels
 
Rick Beaver
Ranch Hand
Posts: 464
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Thanks Bert - OK, I will wait I am ITCHING to get my hands on a new PB but I will have to hold back the Visa urges...

Hurry up Apple
 
Rick Beaver
Ranch Hand
Posts: 464
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Ahhh - is it something called a "Meron" that I should be waiting for?
 
The overall mission is to change the world. When you've done that, then you can read this tiny ad:
Enterprise-grade Excel API for Java
https://products.aspose.com/cells/java
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
Boost this thread!