• Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic

Thanks all, passed...

 
Roy Augustine
Ranch Hand
Posts: 30
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hi all,
My long wait is over. I just got my result.
I took my essay exam on April 1st and they just posted my result.
Detailed result.
The maximum number of points is 400, to pass you need a score of 320.
Section Summary: Section Max Actual Points Points
General Con: 100 93
Documentation: 70 70
OOD: 30 30
GUI: 40 12
Locking: 80 58
Data Store: 40 40
Network Server: 40 40
Total: 400 343
Thanks all...
Roy.
 
Philippe Maquet
Bartender
Posts: 1872
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Congratulations, Roy, very good score!
I'd have to move this to the Cert Results Forum immediately, but I'll wait till tomorrow (if it isn't moved in the meantime ).
You've gotten a weird Locking score: neither the typical 44/80 bad score, nor the maximum. It's quite rare to see a score in the middle of those two extremes. Any idea?
And for the GUI part?
Very good result anyway!
Best regards,
Phil.
 
Nicholas Cheung
Ranch Hand
Posts: 4982
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Congrad!!! Roy!!!
You did a cool job!
Nick
 
Roy Augustine
Ranch Hand
Posts: 30
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hi,
I am not sure why I got very low score for GUI. But I would say
1. I haven�t used any component other than textfield. I think that is the main reason
2. i didn�t grouped and separated components.
Actually I provided GUI for all the services like create, update. Since all these services have many fields, and some gui like update contains, record number field, which is not something related to record data, it is a good idea to group different components.
I used same class to create the GUI for more than one services. For example I used the same class for delete, lock, read. I also used the same class for search and create. All I did was just use a different title for the window and different label for the buttons depending on the service. But I don�t know whether it affected my score anyway. I did so just reduce the number of classes. I did documented it.
I did spend a lots of time on my JTable and made sure it displays right. May be that was one reason too. Because I put a lots of restrictions on width of table cells, and JTable.
Actually I am not sure what went wrong about my GUI. But I spend a lot of time on the GUI and made sure everything displays right and tried to be consistent.
Lock
About lock I think what I did wrong was I didn�t synchronize the Collection class I used to store cookies. I did so because I felt like, it wouldn�t be a problem since no two client can access and play with a given collection element( that is the record number/cookie value pair associated with a locked record) simultaneously, because of my synchronizations at the data class. But I didn�t document that idea.
I locked based on the record object, rather than just shutting down the entire database.
I also implemented a lock manager( I called it cookie manager) at the client side to keep track of the records locked by that client.
Even though I am not at all happy with my GUI score I am happy with my overall score.
Do you think is there any way to find out what went wrong about my GUI and Lock?
Regards,
Roy.
 
Terry Martinson
Ranch Hand
Posts: 293
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Congrats Roy!!

TJ
 
Jason Hocker
Ranch Hand
Posts: 132
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
You didn't use a JTable for your results? I do not have my instructions with me, but I thought that was a requirement.
 
Roy Augustine
Ranch Hand
Posts: 30
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Jay,

You didn't use a JTable for your results? I do not have my instructions with me, but I thought that was a requirement.

Yes I did use JTable to display the results and it is a must requirement too. What I said was I set preferred, max and min width for all the columns and also controlled the display size of the table using setPreferredScrollableViewportSize() method.
May be that ends up in a weird output when they use test data. But it is just a guess.
Hope this helps.
Regards,
Roy.
 
Andrew Monkhouse
author and jackaroo
Marshal Commander
Pie
Posts: 12014
220
C++ Firefox Browser IntelliJ IDE Java Mac Oracle
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Congratulations Roy
 
Philippe Maquet
Bartender
Posts: 1872
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
As it's the rule, I'm moving this thread to the Certification Results forum. You can go on congratulating Roy here.
Regards,
Phil.
 
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic