Win a copy of Five Lines of Code this week in the OO, Patterns, UML and Refactoring forum!
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Bear Bibeault
  • Ron McLeod
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Paul Clapham
Sheriffs:
  • Tim Cooke
  • Liutauras Vilda
  • Junilu Lacar
Saloon Keepers:
  • Tim Moores
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • fred rosenberger
  • salvin francis
Bartenders:
  • Piet Souris
  • Frits Walraven
  • Carey Brown

Passed SCDJWS exam with 81% - my experience and recommendation

 
Greenhorn
Posts: 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
This user profile was created only to share my experience in SCDJWS exam with you. I have no intention to use it for posting in other forums. I kept my identity as a secret for personal reasons.

Back to the main point, the overall exam difficulty was average. I would say that 60% of the questions were easy while the other 40% were really tough. Most of the questions about Java APIs were set at a high level with few questions asking about details in JAX-RPC, SAAJ, JAXP and JAXR. You have to be familiar with the tiny details in SOAP, WSDL and to some extend in UDDI. You don't need to know much about the UDDI Inquiry and publisher API but you have to know about the UDDI data structures. For XML, the focus was on XML namespaces and complex types.

Expect questions in which you are given a scenario and you have to decide based on the given facts, at least 5 in my case. There were a lot of drag and drop questions, at least 7 as far I remember. I was surprised that I got only 2 or 3 questions about security and only 2 questions about deployment.

As far as preparation for the exam, I strongly recommend you to do the following:
read 'J2EE Web Service by Richard Monson-Haefel' at least twice. I have read it only once.
read chapters 2, 3 and 7 from 'Designing Web Services with the J2EE 1.4 Platform'. I have not read the other chapter so someone else might comment on them.
For JAXB, read the first chapter in the J2EE Web Services tutorial.
For WS-Security, chapter 7 from the blueprints is more than enough. For me, I read chapters 4, 5, 6 and 7 from 'Securing Web Services with WS-Security by Jothy Rosenberg and David Remy'

Many people were asking Kathy and Bert for a HF-JWS, in my opinion 'J2EE Web Service by Richard Monson-Haefel' is more than enough and there is no need for a HF-JWS. I forget to mention that I had no prior experience in web services.
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 4982
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
scdjws score,

Your name violates the Naming Policy, please change it at Your Profile.

Nick
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 1011
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
anyway....congratulations and enjoy!
 
If you settle for what they are giving you, you deserve what you get. Fight for this tiny ad!
Thread Boost feature
https://coderanch.com/t/674455/Thread-Boost-feature
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic