Win a copy of The Little Book of Impediments (e-book only) this week in the Agile and Other Processes forum!
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic

Kushner and Gurus.......

 
Loga Nathan
Greenhorn
Posts: 21
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hi,
I'm getting started on 287 and 484. My plan is to first take the 287, for there is a book(Q:As for coverage, will this book be sufficient for this?) and then take 484 after reading the other tutorials? Or should i do it the other way round, 484 then 287?
Also, say, if you are pursuing the SUN certs or you have them, then would these IBM certs add any value? I'm a consultant and have working knowledge in both WebSphere and WebLogic almost equally.
Please suggest.
Thanks,
Logan
 
Peter Dawson
Greenhorn
Posts: 19
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hi,
Aside from the material listed on the IBM site (http://www-1.ibm.com/certify/tests/edu287.shtml) including Howard Kushner's excellent book, I have got some mileage from the ibm redbooks : http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/. I'm currently working through a good Websphere example in document : 'EJB 2.0 Development with WebSphere Studio Application Developer, SG24-6819-00'. It's free to download the PDF.
Best
Peter
 
Nicholas Cheung
Ranch Hand
Posts: 4982
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Loga,
If you already worked with WSAD before, the order may not be important.
However, if you have less experiences with it, you may consider taking 484 first and then 287, becos 484 focus on J2EE technologies with less WSAD issues, while 287 basically covers the IDE details on how to develop J2EE applications under WSAD.
Nick.
 
Howard Kushner
author
Ranch Hand
Posts: 361
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Originally posted by Loga Nathan:
Hi,
I'm getting started on 287 and 484. My plan is to first take the 287, for there is a book(Q:As for coverage, will this book be sufficient for this?) and then take 484 after reading the other tutorials? Or should i do it the other way round, 484 then 287?
Also, say, if you are pursuing the SUN certs or you have them, then would these IBM certs add any value? I'm a consultant and have working knowledge in both WebSphere and WebLogic almost equally.
Please suggest.
Thanks,
Logan

Hello Logan,
I personally took the 287 before the 484, basically because I thought the 287 would be a bit easier, and saved the 484 for last.
As you may have guessed, I have a bias toward WebSphere.
Regards,
 
Loga Nathan
Greenhorn
Posts: 21
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hi,
Considering all the above points, i'm going to take 287 first, then 484.
Thank you all,
Logan
 
Ko Ko Naing
Ranch Hand
Posts: 3178
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Originally posted by Nicholas Cheung:
However, if you have less experiences with it, you may consider taking 484 first and then 287, becos 484 focus on J2EE technologies with less WSAD issues, while 287 basically covers the IDE details on how to develop J2EE applications under WSAD.

SO do u mean that 484 might be easier for J2EE developer, who got a strong foundation on J2EE? I think that almost everybody, who got background in J2EE is using a certain IDE like JBuilder, WebSphere or SunOne.... Then a J2EE developer will be familiar with an IDE for sure...
As for me, I've been using JBuilder in the office since version 3 and I often try to learn WebSphere, when I'm home... As for me, I'll go for 287 first. After then go for the 484...
I do appreciate ur suggestion, Nick...
 
Nicholas Cheung
Ranch Hand
Posts: 4982
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Ko Ko,
As said, if you have experiences about WSAD (or similar stuffs) before, and you are familiar with J2EE, I recommend you take 484 first, as you may not need much time to study the usage of IDE before.
But if you are familar with WSAD, you should take it 1st as the opposite reason.
Since I only have 1/2 year WSAD experiences, while I have developed J2EE applications for 3 years, I will go for 484 first as my time frame is much more tight than you.
Best wishes.
Nick.
 
Pradeep bhatt
Ranch Hand
Posts: 8933
Firefox Browser Java Spring
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Howard
What are the new certification IBM is planning to come in future.
 
Zach Lee
Greenhorn
Posts: 19
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I agree with Nick. 287 is more WebSphere specific while 484 is J2EE in general. It all depends on you experience. That said, the two exams do overlap a lot. It does not hurt your preps because you kind of prepare for both. But it does hurt your pocket
Good luck!
Zach
 
Ko Ko Naing
Ranch Hand
Posts: 3178
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Originally posted by Nicholas Cheung:
Hi Ko Ko,
As said, if you have experiences about WSAD (or similar stuffs) before, and you are familiar with J2EE, I recommend you take 484 first, as you may not need much time to study the usage of IDE before.
But if you are familar with WSAD, you should take it 1st as the opposite reason.
Since I only have 1/2 year WSAD experiences, while I have developed J2EE applications for 3 years, I will go for 484 first as my time frame is much more tight than you.
Best wishes.
Nick.

Thanx a lot, Nick... Now My mind tends to go for 484 first, becoz of temptation from u... It's very nice that u share ur knowledge with us here... BTW, which book do u read for 484? As for 287, we are in trial of the book promotion...
It's "Developing J2EE Applications with WebSphere Studio: IBM Certified Enterprise Developer (IBM Certification Study Guides)"... Isn't it?
 
Nicholas Cheung
Ranch Hand
Posts: 4982
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Ko Ko,
For 484, my references are:
1. SWCWD Exam Kit (I guess you have it)
2. Head First EJB (which you have get one here )
3. Online resoruces including:
- JDBC tutorial
- JAAS tutorial
- JMS tutorial
- JAXP tutorial
For 287, yes, Howard's book provides a good means.
We work hard together, and pass together!
Nick.
 
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic