• Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic

Use case pre condition

 
Parag Doshi
Ranch Hand
Posts: 317
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
If a use case has a pre-condition which says that condition xx has to be satified for the execution of the use case, do we need to validate that condition in seq diagram?

Parag
 
Ramon Gill
Ranch Hand
Posts: 344
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Parag,
Couldn't it be added in a description, or a note?
Ray
 
Parag Doshi
Ranch Hand
Posts: 317
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Originally posted by Ramon Gill:
Parag,
Couldn't it be added in a description, or a note?
Ray


Ray,
Yeah. I was leaning towards that alternative too as I can state that it is assumed that condition xx is satisfied before the execution of this use case.
I wanted to know whether this is the distinction btw pre-conditions and alternate flows. In alternate flows, we check the condition and depending on the result, branch out in 2 separate flows. I was not sure if that was also required for pre-conditions.

Parag
 
H. Hafer
Ranch Hand
Posts: 108
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Originally posted by Parag Doshi:
I was not sure if that was also required for pre-conditions.

Huh, I'm not sure either, but it doesn't hurt if your seq diagrams explicitely check these pre-conditions; you don't unintentionally omit information considered obligatory by others. Additionally, it just boils down to attach the condition to the message edge and thus doesn add too much complexity. My approach would be:
|
| [color is red:] spoil blood
|------------------------------------->
|\
| \ [color is blue:] paint sky
| ------------------------------------+--------->
|

HTH,
Harbo
[ September 16, 2004: Message edited by: H. Hafer ]
 
Parag Doshi
Ranch Hand
Posts: 317
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Originally posted by H. Hafer:

Huh, I'm not sure either, but it doesn't hurt if your seq diagrams explicitely check these pre-conditions; you don't unintentionally omit information considered obligatory by others. Additionally, it just boils down to attach the condition to the message edge and thus doesn add too much complexity. My approach would be:
|
| [color is red:] spoil blood
|------------------------------------->
|\
| \ [color is blue:] paint sky
| ------------------------------------+--------->
|

HTH,
Harbo

[ September 16, 2004: Message edited by: H. Hafer ]


Yeah..what you say makes sense. I would just to draw 2 (more :roll: ) messages for the pre-conditions in my seq diagram.

I guess more blood will be spilt on my neverending seq diagram. Its like a ever hungry monster asking for more messages, more components !

Parag
 
H. Hafer
Ranch Hand
Posts: 108
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Originally posted by Parag Doshi:

I guess more blood will be spilt on my neverending seq diagram. Its like a ever hungry monster asking for more messages, more components !

Oh yes, these sequence diagrams! As I was young, they were modest and concise
Anyhow, regarding the assignment I got Occam's razor and cut off all those components which are not responsible for carrying the message in the very first place.

regards,
Harbo
 
Parag Doshi
Ranch Hand
Posts: 317
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Originally posted by H. Hafer:

Oh yes, these sequence diagrams! As I was young, they were modest and concise
Anyhow, regarding the assignment I got Occam's razor and cut off all those components which are not responsible for carrying the message in the very first place.

regards,
Harbo


Hmmm..maybe my components are chattering a lot than ur well behaved ones


Parag
 
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic