• Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic

getting one of two errors while doing head first ejb exercises

 
Martin Brice
Greenhorn
Posts: 6
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
First, I would like to say the Head First EJB book is entertaining while you read it. But I have to say, while doing the FIRST real exercise (Advice guy ejb), I have done exactly as the book has stated, but nothing very little works that way! The examples are assuming I'm using unix or linux, which 75% of the people reading this intro book I'm sure aren't, I always have to put on a -classpath d:\j2sdkee1.3.1\lib\j2ee.jar to every javac line, and I STILL get errors about not being able to import javax.ejb, and then there's errors with unable to find my main when I run the AdviceClient.
I enjoy reading the book, but the coding in the book is a bit frustrating. To make matters worse, after many hours of fighting with the code, I went to the errata site thinking this just wasn't right, and there is a "problem with the RI server", something about the getAdvice() call. I like how you are using the lowed common denominator to teach the essentials, but you have to ensure that denominator is working! The people reading your book are not able to just flip in a new ejb container like the can plug'n'play with mice or keyboards.
If anyone can help with the above questions I would certainly love to hear from you. If Kathy or Bert are reading this, I commend you on your efforts and I encourage you to write more books, but please, please, please, double, triple, quadruple check your code snippets. Your readers are beginners and beginners will blame themselves during compilation errors, they don't quite have the confidence or the knowledge to know when it's the source code that's the problem.
 
dennis zined
Ranch Hand
Posts: 330
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Martin. You may want to read this.
 
Martin Brice
Greenhorn
Posts: 6
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Thank you for the info. Ya, I found this out as well yesterday. I did the method name change and things worked, eventually. :< I had to play around quite a bit with the classpaths, directories, etc. :< But I did get it working eventually, so that's a good thing. :>
Thanks for the reply. :>
 
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic