• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic

naming policy postings  RSS feed

 
John Fontana
Ranch Hand
Posts: 235
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I would be glad to write a form that uses Javascript to ensure that new members use the proper naming policy.
It is awfully disappointing when a posting shows some responses, when in fact they do not relate to the topic posted, but instead remind Greenhorns of the naming policy.
 
Jim Yingst
Wanderer
Sheriff
Posts: 18671
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Your offer is appreciated - we're actually nearly ready with such a form ourselves.
 
John Fontana
Ranch Hand
Posts: 235
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
There were two threads with very interesting topics today, but they contained no informative content because the threads were closed due to the naming policy.
I think it is really beginning to take away from the friendly atmosphere here. Any word on the ETA of this new form?
 
Thomas Paul
mister krabs
Ranch Hand
Posts: 13974
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Originally posted by John Fontana:
There were two threads with very interesting topics today, but they contained no informative content because the threads were closed due to the naming policy.
I think it is really beginning to take away from the friendly atmosphere here. Any word on the ETA of this new form?

Threads closed? It is not the policy to close threads because of naming policy violations. Could you point me to these threads?
 
John Fontana
Ranch Hand
Posts: 235
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Originally posted by Thomas Paul:

Threads closed? It is not the policy to close threads because of naming policy violations. Could you point me to these threads?

Here's one that you closed yourself:
http://www.coderanch.com/t/309677/EJB-JEE/java/EJB-Handles
And here's one that was closed by Mark:
http://www.coderanch.com/forums/
These just happened to be the first two threads I read tonight...And considering that I've spent my week doing dozens of form-validation scripts, to know that just one simple script could avoid dead-end threads like this. It really does cast a pall over the atmosphere.
 
Dirk Schreckmann
Sheriff
Posts: 7023
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Dang! Now we have a pall, too!
 
Thomas Paul
mister krabs
Ranch Hand
Posts: 13974
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Originally posted by John Fontana:

Here's one that you closed yourself:
http://www.coderanch.com/t/309677/EJB-JEE/java/EJB-Handles
These just happened to be the first two threads I read tonight...And considering that I've spent my week doing dozens of form-validation scripts, to know that just one simple script could avoid dead-end threads like this. It really does cast a pall over the atmosphere.

Look again. The thread is not closed. As far as ipog goes, he has been warned repeatedly and he chose not to change his display name. No form is going to force people to use proper names. Instead of "studman" we'll get "stud man". Changing a display name takes less than 60 seconds.
 
John Fontana
Ranch Hand
Posts: 235
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Originally posted by Thomas Paul:

Look again. The thread is not closed. As far as ipog goes, he has been warned repeatedly and he chose not to change his display name. No form is going to force people to use proper names. Instead of "studman" we'll get "stud man". Changing a display name takes less than 60 seconds.

Well, I must admit that ipog had it coming to him...But I do think that a validation such as the one that is "in the works" would reduce the number of posts of this type...and perhaps many of those could be corrected in private messages rather than on the boards themselves.
Case and point: a search for "naming policy" turned up 821 threads, while the trickier topic of Corba only returned 535 results.
Maybe new members could be e-mailed a password along with a welcome letter explaining the policy. This would also allow bartenders to notify greenhorns privately if the naming policy wasn't met. In the long run, time could be saved and energy reinvested into discussions about Java...
Except for ipog, of course...
Just a thought...
 
John Fontana
Ranch Hand
Posts: 235
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Originally posted by Dirk Schreckmann:
Dang! Now we have a pall, too!

LOL!
 
Dirk Schreckmann
Sheriff
Posts: 7023
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
The notion of an automated display name validation system is all fine and dandy to consider. It would seem to be a relatively simple thing to implement and perhaps obvious that it could and should be implemented. Think again.
If this is such an easy thing, and it is, then why has it not been done? JavaRanch has been around for years now, as has been the Naming Policy. That means that for years Bartenders have been posting friendly reminders to rebel spirits that failed to comply with the JavaRanch Naming Policy.
What distinguishes a Bartender from a "regular" JavaRancher? The title. The power. The number of posts. Remove the reminders to comply with the Naming Policy and how many posts do you think each Bartender would really have? Not to mention the power lost to an automated system.
No, I don't think those that benefit from the JavaRanch power structure would allow this wanton loss of power by any such proposed saboteur.
 
Dirk Schreckmann
Sheriff
Posts: 7023
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hey, we're not even listed on this John Fontana guy's website. Man, could somebody please close any threads he posts to. I just can't believe this guy...
 
John Fontana
Ranch Hand
Posts: 235
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Let's show the greenhorns what crazy programmers are really like. If the naming policy is not conformed to, I say we write a script to automatically dial their cellphone every 3 minutes, and have a cryptic electronic voice remind them about the naming policy.
Then, when they're not home, we'll teach their parrot how to announce the naming policy over, and over again.
 
John Fontana
Ranch Hand
Posts: 235
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Originally posted by Dirk Schreckmann:
Hey, we're not even listed on this John Fontana guy's website. Man, could somebody please close any threads he posts to. I just can't believe this guy...

Oh, sure...so if I link here all of my potential employers can check and see all the stupid newbie questions I ask. Thanks to my adherence to the naming policy, I have no benefit of anonymity.
 
Dirk Schreckmann
Sheriff
Posts: 7023
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
The naming policy doesn't say you are required to use your real name. It just says don't use an obviously fictitious display name.
It's not too late to change your display name to something like "Iaint Johnfontana". That would pass your name verification script, wouldn't it?
 
Michael Matola
whippersnapper
Ranch Hand
Posts: 1836
5
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
It's neat to find out "John Fontana" is your real name. I had thought it fictitious (but not terribly obvious) -- a sly reference to John Cage's Fontana Mix.
 
John Fontana
Ranch Hand
Posts: 235
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Originally posted by Michael Matola:
It's neat to find out "John Fontana" is your real name. I had thought it fictitious (but not terribly obvious) -- a sly reference to John Cage's Fontana Mix.

Au contraire, John Cage's Fontana Mix is a sly reference to me.
 
John Fontana
Ranch Hand
Posts: 235
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Originally posted by Dirk Schreckmann:

It's not too late to change your display name to something like "Iaint Johnfontana". That would pass your name verification script, wouldn't it?

It would, if only I hadn't made the script just a little too good. You see, it actually causes SCSI and USB cables to lash out from the computer to entangle the user, peripherals flailing and battering the user until the truth is finally frightened out of them.
The drawback, of course, is that it requires a DOM-compliant, post IE-4 browser.
[ June 02, 2002: Message edited by: John Fontana ]
 
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
Boost this thread!