I am currently looking towards taking my next Sun certification exam. I am looking at the SCWCD exam and I am still undecided between two available CX-310-081 and CX-310-083. When looking at the exam objectives for both exams on the SUN web site there isn't much of a difference. The only differences are in section 7, i.e. Building JSP Pages Using the Expression Language (EL). In this case the following two points are only in CX-310-083:
- Given a scenario, write EL code that uses the following operators: aritmetic operators, relational operators, and logical operators. - Given a scenario, write EL code that uses a function; write code for an EL function; and configure the EL function in a tag library descriptor.
The main difference however is the pass score. The pass score for CX-310-081 is 62% (44 of 69 questions) while the pass score for CX-310-083 is 70% (49 of 69 questions). Also the time limit is different.
At this point I have two question: - Is this correct information? Howcome the passmark is higher for the CX-310-083. If they are nearly identical I would rather go for the CX-310-081 as the exam is much easier, i.e. lower pass mark. - Is the book for CX-310-081, i.e. SCWCD CX-310-081 Exam Study Kit, good for the CX-310-083.
If anyone thinks that this book is not good or has a better alternative could you kindly let me know?
It's impossible to say if one is definitively better than another because everyone has different opinions, but you can check out my book on the publisher's website/regional Amazons and see what you think. See my signature for more details. There are also some reviews on Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk and in the SCWCD Links.
Bear in mind it's also helpful to have different resources which each explain concepts in slightly different ways - some you might understand better than others. Especially with the new exam said to be harder than the old, it's a good time to really understand those concepts well so you can apply them and not just rote-learn the APIs and Schema.
Good luck with your preparation whichever route you take!
Charles Lyons (SCJP 1.4, April 2003; SCJP 5, Dec 2006; SCWCD 1.4b, April 2004)
Author of OCEJWCD Study Companion for Oracle Exam 1Z0-899 (ISBN 0955160340 / AmazonAmazon UK )
Originally posted by Christophe Verre: Any books for 081 (SCWCD1.4) will do.
I got three questions.
1. It has been awhile since I did Java certification. I think I passed JCP with version 1.3. Am I still eligible to take this SCWCD exam? I remember reading somewhere else in this saloon that some people got notification that their certification is expired.
2. I have HeadFirst (head start?) book for SCWCD. Will this do? I believe it's for 081.
3. What's the quickest way to study? I done similar stuff in .NET but my manager is asking for java certification. I got baby coming in October so I would like to study and pass before than.
"misterooga", Welcome to the ranch. You may not be aware of the ranch Naming Policy. Please read it carefully and change your name accordingly (you need to set both first and last names. Obviously fake names are not allowed either). Thank you.
Originally posted by Christophe Verre: "misterooga", Welcome to the ranch. You may not be aware of the ranch Naming Policy. Please read it carefully and change your name accordingly (you need to set both first and last names. Obviously fake names are not allowed either). Thank you.
Thanks for the reminder. It really has been a while since I came back here; I didn't remember the naming policy.
So, would you be able to help me with the questions?
1. Yes 2. Yes 3. I don't believe there's any quickest way. It depends on the time you can allow to study. Spend some time at the ranch, that's the quickest way to success And check the following links: