• Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic

Passed/Bestanden 147/155

 
Abhijeet Premkumar
Greenhorn
Posts: 18
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hi,
I just checked the Sun Certification Database today and found that I've passed SCJD with a score of 147/155 (94.83 %).
Uploaded Assignment : 29-Jan-2001
Gave follow-up test : 31-Jan-2001
Results published : 08-Feb-2001
My score distribution was as follows:
General Considerations (maximum = 72): 67
Documentation (maximum = 10) : 10
Object-Oriented Design (maximum = 6) : 6
GUI (maximum = 20) : 17
Data conversion program(maximum = 10) : 10
Server (maximum = 37) : 37
Best of luck to all working on their assignments
With warm regards
Abhijeet
 
Adrian Yan
Ranch Hand
Posts: 688
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Congradulation!
Very good score!
Hope you will stay around to help out us the wannabes
 
Abhijeet Premkumar
Greenhorn
Posts: 18
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hi,
Thanks. Sure..I'll stay around...
---
With warm regards
Abhijeet
Originally posted by Adrian Yan:
Congradulation!
Very good score!
Hope you will stay around to help out us the wannabes

 
Matt DeLacey
Ranch Hand
Posts: 318
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Abhijeet. Congratulations. You must feel great about that. If you don't mind it is really helpful to those of us here if you comment...don't give us any specifics, just answer things like:
1.) How long did it take you?
2.) Were you confident that you would pass?
3.) What did you feel was the weekest/strongest parts of your assignment?
4.) Why do you feel you lost the points that you did?
5.) Did you have any fears after taking written portion of exam?
6.) How much documentation did you have?
And anything else (nonspecific) that you think would be helpful..Thanks.

With Respect,
Matt DeLacey
 
Abhijeet Premkumar
Greenhorn
Posts: 18
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Matt,
Thank you for the wishes. It does feel great to have that work pay off. I really did slog to make sure that things were perfect before submission. Sure, I'll answer any questions that you may have...
1. It took me 1 month to design + code + test and another month to get the docs organized (boring stuff).
2. Once I saw that the code was running on several different machine configs and after the bugs had ironed out I did feel a lot at ease.
3.
a. The strongest part of the assignment was writing the code for the Data Client (not the GUI). I felt pretty sure that I had refactored the code enough so that it was simple and efficient.
b. The weakest part of the assignment was the GUI. I simply had 2 labels , 2 JComboBoxes, 1 JTable and 3 buttons (Search, Book Seats, Exit). I changed the title of the frame to show the filter currently in place when the Search button is clicked.
4.
a. My GUI was fairly rudimentary (No Menubar, No Statusbar, No splash screen) so I guess it was only natural that I lost some points there. (My classes for the GUI were reusable though except the main loader)
b. I seem to have lost some points in the General consideration sections and I think it was because I had to break quite a few expressions and the Java Coding conventions are not too clear on how that is to be accomplished or maybe I missed something.
5. No. I was fairly sure that I would get a pass but didn't have a clue that the results would be this good.
6. I had 3 text file (user manuals for client, server, data convertor)
1 file for design choices (11 pages in word)
1 readme.txt file ( contained instructions for installing & working with the app on both Win32 & UNIX based systems)
My major design decisions are as follows:
My major design choices were:
* Used RMI over serialized objects
* Modified Data
* Changed lock/unlock signatures
* Used a queue based record locking scheme
* Implemented the -1 db lock
* Did not implement a timeout for locking
* threw exceptions (both Database & Remote) all the way up to the client
* DataConvertor uses a Schema file (simple text file, not java
properties file)
* Used Adapter, Command, Factory & Singleton patterns
---------------------
I hope that helps
With warm regards
Abhijeet

Originally posted by Matt DeLacey:
Abhijeet. Congratulations. You must feel great about that. If you don't mind it is really helpful to those of us here if you comment...don't give us any specifics, just answer things like:
1.) How long did it take you?
2.) Were you confident that you would pass?
3.) What did you feel was the weekest/strongest parts of your assignment?
4.) Why do you feel you lost the points that you did?
5.) Did you have any fears after taking written portion of exam?
6.) How much documentation did you have?
And anything else (nonspecific) that you think would be helpful..Thanks.

With Respect,
Matt DeLacey

 
Matt DeLacey
Ranch Hand
Posts: 318
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Abjiheet,
Wow! Thanks a lot for the feedback. It's really helpful in quashing fears. I am VERY grateful. Hope all your hard work results in significant career advancement, or, if that's not your goal, personal satisfaction.
With Respect,
Matt
 
Abhijeet Premkumar
Greenhorn
Posts: 18
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Matt,
I'm glad I could help and thank you for the wishes.
With warm regards
Abhijeet
Originally posted by Matt DeLacey:
Abjiheet,
Wow! Thanks a lot for the feedback. It's really helpful in quashing fears. I am VERY grateful. Hope all your hard work results in significant career advancement, or, if that's not your goal, personal satisfaction.
With Respect,
Matt

 
joey phillip
Ranch Hand
Posts: 40
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Congrats Abhjeet! you got a greate score!
1)Did you read any java design pattern books?
2)Could you please explain your RMI Design(local and network mode)
with respect
joey
 
Abhijeet Premkumar
Greenhorn
Posts: 18
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Joey,
I referred to James Cooper's design pattern book.
With warm regards
Abhijeet

Originally posted by joey phillip:
Congrats Abhjeet! you got a greate score!
1)Did you read any java design pattern books?
2)Could you please explain your RMI Design(local and network mode)
with respect
joey

 
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic