• Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic

Passed 149/155

 
Cleland Early
Ranch Hand
Posts: 38
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I received word today that I passed the developer exam.
Grade:P
Score:149
Comment:The maximum possible # of points is 155; the minimum to pass is 124.
General Considerations(maximum = 58): 57 Documentation(maximum = 20): 20
GUI(maximum = 24): 23
Server(maximum = 53): 49
Thanks to everyone whose posts helped me with this project.
For the server, I chose a simple approach, using RMI. This wasn't a very carefully considered choice. I just started fooling around with RMI and had the server working pretty quickly, so I left it at that. My record-locking design was also simple. My search function was a little more elaborate than called for in the specification.
My GUI was rather complicated, and I spent the most time working on that part of the project. I had on-the-fly database switching, which was pretty cool, I think.
I spent a day at the end working to greatly simplify my command lines, using executable jar files. The command line entry for my client application took no parameters. The command line entry for the server only took a couple.
I discovered after I'd submitted the assignment that the server didn't work properly on Windows NT once I'd used the jar command to extract the contents of the submission archive. There was some sort of funky permission deal going on there. I'd tested the client on Windows, but I only tried to start the server. I never attempted a connection.
Therefore, I'd recommend that you make sure you test on all platforms available to you. Test the whole extraction process and follow your README instructions for running the client and server on all platforms. Fortunately for me, everything worked properly on Unix.
 
Narayan Veeramani
Greenhorn
Posts: 25
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Congrats for passing the exam!
You mentioned that
"I spent a day at the end working to greatly simplify my command lines, using executable jar files. The command line entry for my client application took no parameters. The command line entry for the server only took a couple."
Can you please elaborate on this and give some hints regarding
how u did this?
[This message has been edited by Narayan Veeramani (edited July 03, 2001).]
 
Cleland Early
Ranch Hand
Posts: 38
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
My command line for the server orginally had:
-Djava.security.policy=java.policy
and
-Djava.rmi.server.codebase=<path to jar file>
All you are doing here is setting system properties from the command line. I wrote some code in my main method to do the same thing. I simply set the first one programmatically using System.setProperty. I discovered that I could build a codebase URL for the second one by reading the "java.class.path" system property. I'm not sure this second one will work unless you use the -jar option.
For the client, I created a properties object and saved the database settings between sessions. For the inital startup, the client looks in the default location, the same directory as the jar file, for the local database, named "db.db" by default. I detailed this in my README file.
[This message has been edited by Cleland Early (edited July 03, 2001).]
 
Rick Fortier
Ranch Hand
Posts: 147
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Congratulations!
How did you handle tracking client id? And lock/unlock?
Also, when running from a jar, how did you handle the policy file? What did the command line for the client look like?
How many days did you have to wait for your results?
 
Cleland Early
Ranch Hand
Posts: 38
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I didn't track the client id. I relied on the client to call lock/unlock. There are some other posts in the forum describing my lock technique.
The policy file needed to be in the same directory as the client jar file. Its name couldn't change. This was specified in my documentation.
The client command:
java -jar [path to client jar file]
I used default settings for the initial startup. Once the client starts, you can use it to change the database settings, which are saved between sessions.
Unfortunately, my jar file was initially corrupted, so I had to resubmit it. I initially submitted my project on May 31 and took the exam on June 6. I got my results today, July 3.
[This message has been edited by Cleland Early (edited July 03, 2001).]
 
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic