Win a copy of Murach's Python Programming this week in the Jython/Python forum!
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic

Thread + gc  RSS feed

Damien Howard
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Report post to moderator
Ok I doubt this will come up on the exam and perhaps this can only be answered by the people who created the sun jvm for linux, but I read in sun's core java book that there are no thread priorities for the sun linux jvm. Wouldn't this cause the gc to be on equal footing with any other thread thus possibly taking up a lot of processing time during inconvenient moments?

Jim Yingst
Wanderer
Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hmmm, possibly. I don't know much about Linux JVMs. However I should note that just because normal Thread priorities aren't implemented (assuming this is indeed [still] true), that doesn't necessarily affect garbage collection. A JVM implementation isn't required to use the statndard Thread implemenation for garbage collection. It could, instead, make use of native code to implement a different kind of thread. Much of the work of GC is handled by native code somewhere - don't assume it plays by the same rules as the other Java classes. It's possible that JVM implementors decided it wasn't worth their time to implement thread priorities in general - but they might well have found it was important to make sure GC was working well.
As I said, I don't know much about Linux JVMs, so take this with a grain of salt. It's just something to think about.

Damien Howard
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I'm sure your right. I know nothing about Linux in general, I just thought it was interesting when I came across that bit of info.
Thanks Jim

Marlene Miller
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Jim, you changed your sentence at the end. But I am only on chapter 14 of Wheelock's Latin. You have to wait until I get to chapter 29 (Imperfect Subjunctive).

Jim Yingst
Wanderer
Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
You mean the "Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur." quote? I hope it's not too disappointing to you, but I got that from a phrase list, actually -- I don't actually know Latin. Though I know enough Italian to make some guesses when I see a phrase.
But I am only on chapter 14 of Wheelock's Latin.
Why am I not surprised? (At the "Wheelock's Latin", not the "only".)

• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
Boost this thread!