• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic

JSF or STRUTS !!???  RSS feed

 
madhu cm
Greenhorn
Posts: 22
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
hello,
i am new to web apps.... but i need to know about jsf and struts. and i am confused as they both used for web apps development.... which one to use?

i have sun java studio creator which is used for web apps , uses JSF framework.... so i want to know which to use , eigther JSF or STRUTS? which is better ??
 
Prem Khan
Ranch Hand
Posts: 189
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
JSF 1000 times !
 
Gregg Bolinger
Ranch Hand
Posts: 15304
6
Chrome IntelliJ IDE Mac OS X
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
madhucm

Welcome to Javaranch. We don't have too many rules around here but we do have a Naming Policy. Please read this and adjust your display name accordingly. Thanks.

As to your question, I don't think anyone can tell you which one to use. The best that can be done is for you to know the differences between the 2 so that you can make an educated decision. First, I'd search this and the Struts forum for similar threads. JSF vs Struts vs Whatever has been discussed many many times. If you have more specific questions then please ask.

Thanks and welcome to Javaranch.
 
Adeel Ansari
Ranch Hand
Posts: 2874
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Originally posted by Shawn DeSarkar:
JSF 1000 times !


Cent percent agreement.

Struts are about to obselete. JSF is much better and a component based framework. It is a bit immature at the moment but its working like charm. It has almost all the things we have in Struts i.e. validation, navigation management , etc. For client-side validation we can use struts validator which is available alone and became a part of apache commons API.

I am doing it and I am happy. You can take it as a server-side swing. Moreover, it has, relatively, shorter learning curve.

cheers.
 
Mallesham Karnati
Ranch Hand
Posts: 40
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hello Adeel,
I have a question about JSF and after seeing your post, I thought you can help me.

1. How easy or difficult it is to send email from a JSF page?
2. Do I need to add JavaMail APIs to do this? or Is there any built-in method available in JSF to accomplish this? (I read somewhere that by using .NET you can accomplish this by just writing 3 or 4 lines of code)
3. Is there any examples or links on the net (that you know of) which describe this feature?
Regards,
Mallesham
 
Steven Bell
Ranch Hand
Posts: 1071
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Tapestry!

It's what JSF is trying to be like.
[ June 29, 2005: Message edited by: Steven Bell ]
 
Gregg Bolinger
Ranch Hand
Posts: 15304
6
Chrome IntelliJ IDE Mac OS X
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Originally posted by Steven Bell:
Tapestry!

It's what JSF is trying to be like.

[ June 29, 2005: Message edited by: Steven Bell ]


I like your thinking, but Tapestry 4 confuses me more than 3.
 
Steven Bell
Ranch Hand
Posts: 1071
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Originally posted by Gregg Bolinger:


I like your thinking, but Tapestry 4 confuses me more than 3.


I like 4, less xml, annotation support, more navigation options.

You should be able to run anything done in 3 under 4. I think the only major changes you have to deal with is working more with the services rather than subclassing engine. (Although at this point I'm probably hijacking this thread so I'll stop now)
 
Gregg Bolinger
Ranch Hand
Posts: 15304
6
Chrome IntelliJ IDE Mac OS X
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Originally posted by Steven Bell:


I like 4, less xml, annotation support, more navigation options.

You should be able to run anything done in 3 under 4. I think the only major changes you have to deal with is working more with the services rather than subclassing engine. (Although at this point I'm probably hijacking this thread so I'll stop now)


Ok, then start a thread in the right place. Or I will and we cna discuss it.
 
Anselm Paulinus
Ranch Hand
Posts: 390
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Originally posted by Gregg Bolinger:


Ok, then start a thread in the right place. Or I will and we cna discuss it.


Since you guys did not start it at the right place; I am going to do it.
 
Adeel Ansari
Ranch Hand
Posts: 2874
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Originally posted by Mallesham Karnati:
I have a question about JSF and after seeing your post, I thought you can help me.

1. How easy or difficult it is to send email from a JSF page?
2. Do I need to add JavaMail APIs to do this? or Is there any built-in method available in JSF to accomplish this? (I read somewhere that by using .NET you can accomplish this by just writing 3 or 4 lines of code)
3. Is there any examples or links on the net (that you know of) which describe this feature?


Sorry I got late, very late because of some malfunction in FOC in my city. Now I have come to know that the thread was hijacked but it was not done intentionally i think.

No you need to do it with JavaMail API or write something of your own. But its better to go along JavaMail API than re-invent the wheel.
[ July 01, 2005: Message edited by: Adeel Ansari ]
 
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
Boost this thread!