• Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic

Axis Web Service Client : NullPointerException

 
Himanshu Jhamb
Ranch Hand
Posts: 134
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hi

I have written a very simple web service on my local machine. Am using Tomcat w/Apache Axis to implement the same. I coded a very simple *.jws file in the Tomcat webapp directory. The file has two very simple public methods. With Tomcat & Axis, I was able to see the wsdl of the web service on my browser. That said, I started with the client. I generated the stub classes & interfaces (2 each) using the WSDL2Java tool and moved those generated classes in my workspace. Once done, I tried to run my client from the command line (Actually, I am using Eclipse IDE). The client is able to locate the service but throws a NullPointerException on the Call.Invoke method. ( I see this in the Stacktrace). I checked the Apache Axis docs for troubleshooting and found that it might be the Validation library (Crimson, by default) or the fact that the client and server are both on local server. I downloaded Xerces and referenced it in my project. I just do not understand why there is an issue with the client and the server being on the same local host. Does this mean that if the web service is on a remote machine, I wont run into this issue? Please help.

Thanks.

- Himanshu
PS> I am using the first example from the 'Real web services' book and having this issue.
 
Balaji Loganathan
author and deputy
Bartender
Posts: 3150
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Can you post the snippet of your error details. Also try to use some tcpip sniffers like Apache SOAPTCPMonitor from Axis or TCP/IP Trace from also www.pocketsoap.com, this will tell what messages sent btwn client and server and where exactly the error occurs.
 
Hari priya
Ranch Hand
Posts: 134
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hi there,

I am exactly getting the same NPE error. Below is the stack trace. I am just not able to identify the problem. Since it was throwing parse errors, I did give a reference to the xml parsers.

However, I am able to bind to the service but not able to call the webservice method. I have been trying to resolve this for 2 days now. Thanks !

 
Mei Zhu
Greenhorn
Posts: 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
You mentioned that you run your client in your workspace. You might have some jar files which contain older versions of some classes which axis uses now. For example, I encounter a similar problem because my workspace contains jaxm.jar(from 2003) which has the same set of classes as saaj.jar which comes with axis. As soon as I removed the jaxm.jar, everything runs fine. I even wrote a utility myself to inspect jar files under a directry and list which classes apear in more than one jar files.
 
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic