Win a copy of The Little Book of Impediments (e-book only) this week in the Agile and Other Processes forum!
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic

Problems running a bluetooth app on a nokia 6600

 
Zac Styris
Greenhorn
Posts: 14
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hi there, i have created a small application from J2ME where i dicover the bluetooth devices in the area and displaying them.When i deploy the JAR file on to a nokia 6230i it works fine n displays information correctly, but when i install the JAR on to a nokia 6600 it gets stuck in the middle and doesn let the program exit even. some one please help me with this issue i can send u the code for u to check also. thanks so much
 
Mark Spritzler
ranger
Sheriff
Posts: 17278
6
IntelliJ IDE Mac Spring
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
"Zac Zac"-
Welcome to the JavaRanch! Please adjust your displayed name to meet the

JavaRanch Naming Policy.

You can change it

here.

Thanks! and welcome to the JavaRanch!

Mark
 
Mark Spritzler
ranger
Sheriff
Posts: 17278
6
IntelliJ IDE Mac Spring
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Here lies the great problem with J2ME and API Implementations. Each device can implement the specification differently, which makes some devices work with the code that should work and some other devices won't work. We had the same thing when it came to the Services deiscovery on a Siemen's S66. you will probably see the same problem if you install the Bluetooth demo that came with the Wireless Toolkit on your Nokia 6600.

Sometimes you can update the OS on the phone with a newer version that might have a bug fix.

Mark
 
Zac Styris
Greenhorn
Posts: 14
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Thanks so much for the fast reply, isn't there any other way that i cud make it work without updating the OS ??
 
Mark Spritzler
ranger
Sheriff
Posts: 17278
6
IntelliJ IDE Mac Spring
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
If you used the basic approach defined in the JSR API Documentation, then there is really just a bug on the devices implementation that you can't access or change yourself. You can post on the Nokia Developer forums and see if a tech from Nokia can find a way.

Did you try out the Wireless Toolkit's Bluetooth demo on the device?

Mark
 
Zac Styris
Greenhorn
Posts: 14
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Yes i just used basic code which i found from a book, it runs till a certain point and then gets stuck. When i put flags and ran the application found out that this particular method doesn't get executed or gets stuck while execution.



public void inquiryCompleted(int param) {

switch (param) {
case DiscoveryListener.INQUIRY_COMPLETED:

Form f = new Form("Inquiry Done");
f.addCommand(new Command("Exit",Command.EXIT,1));
f.setCommandListener(this);
Display.getDisplay(this).setCurrent(f);
f.append("Inquiry completed");

try {

String s = ((RemoteDevice)devicesFound.elementAt(0)).getFriendlyName(true);
f.append(s);

} catch (IOException ee) {

}
 
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic