• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic

Thread locks leading to lack of file handles  RSS feed

Chris Brat
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Report post to moderator
Hi,

A colleague of mine recently told me that he once wrote a web application that made very heavy use of StringBuffer class (JVM version 1.3) in order to generate code (using Javacc) and experienced the problem of running out of file handles.

It was explained to me that the problem was due to the synchronized methods of the StringBuffer class and all the thread locking associated with using it.

I don't know much about this but it sounds very interesting and could explain a problem I had at a previous company.

Please share your opinions or thoughts.

Thanks
Chris

Henry Wong
author
Sheriff
C++ Chrome Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser Java jQuery Linux VI Editor Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
When an application is running out of file handles, I would look into file objects that are not being closed.

And if it is a synchronization deadlock that is preventing the file objects from being closed, I am sure it is not the StringBuffers...

Henry

Chris Brat
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi,

Thanks for the response.

I would also generally look towards files or sockets not being closed correctly - thats why I'm curious.

Chris

Ernest Friedman-Hill
author and iconoclast
Sheriff
Chrome Eclipse IDE Mac OS X
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
You might ask your colleague for clarification, because either you misunderstood what s/he was trying to say, or, well, s/he did. I'm certainly not aware of any OS that uses file handles as thread locks.

• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
Boost this thread!