Win a copy of Cross-Platform Desktop Applications: Using Node, Electron, and NW.js this week in the JavaScript forum!
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic

Thread class or Runnable  RSS feed

Jitendra Jha
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Report post to moderator
Which is better in terms of performance
Thread class or Runnable interface and why?

Please help
Thanks in advance

Stan James
(instanceof Sidekick)
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I'm sure there's not enough performance difference to worry about, or probably even measure. We generally prefer to implement Runnable because extending a concrete class like Thread has a lot of risks and because our own classes are not really special types of Thread but tasks that can be run on a thread.

Henry Wong
author
Sheriff
C++ Chrome Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser Java jQuery Linux VI Editor Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I'm sure there's not enough performance difference to worry about, or probably even measure.

I agree. I also don't see any reason as to why one would be better, in terms of performance. But, I guess there is no harm to actually try it out.

Two cases... 100,000 instances of a class that inherits from the Thread class, with a run() method that does nothing... vs... 100,000 instances of a class that implements Runnable, passed to a Thread object, with a run() method that does nothing... in a loop, call start(), then join().

Total time around 17 to 18 seconds. On some runs, the first case is faster, on others, the second case is faster.

Henry

deepak munjlani
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
hi friends,
I'm ok with whatever you said about the implementation part ,
But can anybody tell me why we need Thread Class when we already have Runnable interface..

Peter Chase
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Originally posted by deepak munjlani:
hi friends,
I'm ok with whatever you said about the implementation part ,
But can anybody tell me why we need Thread Class when we already have Runnable interface..

You already asked this in another post. Please don't cross-post the same question.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
Boost this thread!