• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Why my Thread deleted?.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I made an INNOCENT thread in MD about grading system of synchronized swinnming/rhytemic gymnastics which intended to discuss about judge prejudices and compitition preperation according to judges.

Now i dont find that thread here.It was just deleted.

May i know the reason?.Fascism?

---
basha
[ August 26, 2004: Message edited by: basha khan ]

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
It must have got too meaningful.

Or did anyone compare the judging to MODing?

That would get your head deleted.

basha khan
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
It was just like any other thread in MD.

I can giv u examples of MORE meaningful threads than mine in MD undeleted.

I can giv u examples of LESS meaningful threads than mine in MD undeleted.

So i suspect Fascism.i hope moderators will clear my doubts.

thanks,
basha

basha khan
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Helen Thomas:

Or did anyone compare the judging to MODing?

Never.It does'nt had anything like that.Just discussion of the subject only.

---
basha

Wanderer
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Apparently another bartender felt it was too close in topic to another thread which had recently become argumentative. This may seem unfair, I understand. I personally didn't see any problem with your thread. However at least one other bartender did. We've had a long history here of ugly arguments over things that one person thought was offensive and another didn't. And we're really, really, really tired of these arguements. So now we delete threads much sooner when we think there's a problem - or when any of the bartenders thinks there's a problem. The results aren't always fair to everyone, unfortunately, but we have far fewer ugly arguments.

I do think it would have been good if the bartender who closed your thread had sent a short note to you explaining why. Especially since it didn't seem to me that you were trying to be argumentative. However I know that sometimes we don't have time to do this sort of thing. Also I know that there are certain other posters who post things deliberately trying to be provacative, to make others react - these I often delete with no comment, because discussion with people who just want to argue is just too tiresome.

Now then, if you want to compare us to fascists, you're welcome to find another forum somewhere which is more to your liking. No one's keeping you here. If you plan to stay, you should probably try to be less insulting to the people who maintin this place. We're volunteers, and we don't always agree 100% on how to handle various situations. However we do try to work together to make this a better place. If you don't think that's the case, then you'll probably be happier posting somewhere else.

Trailboss
IntelliJ IDE Firefox Browser Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
So what you are saying is that you posted something meaningless, and it was deleted ... and you are angry.

Why would you be angry that something meaningless would be deleted?

If I read your message correctly, you seem to be saying that we are not deleting enough. I think we can accomidate that.

MODERATORS: DELETE MORE!

Always happy to help out and do my part.

lowercase baba
Chrome Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Basha,

I am not a moderator, bartender, or in any way an 'offical representative' of this site. i'm a poster, just like you.

Calling the moderators/owners/bartenders Fascists will not win you any credit.

To be honest, you have NO RIGHTS on this site. The owner can delete anything you post or any thread you start, for any reason they want. He can (and has) granted those same rights to his assistants. Clearly, one of them felt for some reason your thread needed to be deleted. There's really not much you can do about it.

The best procedure is to politly ask. By calling the owner/moderator a fascist, you'll probably only anger him, even if he IS a fascist, and get your account banned.

Finally, the MD policy says "posts with meaning will be deleted. Posts without meaning MAY be deleted, but nobody should care because they are meaningless". So, if you care that your post was deleted, it had meaning, and therefore SHOULD have been deleted.

Jim Yingst
Wanderer
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
[Me]: I do think it would have been good if the bartender who closed your thread had sent a short note to you explaining why.

And, it turns out, this has already happened. Check your private messages. And you've got e-mail notification turned on, so you should have received an e-mail as well.

basha khan
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I just seen this thread in Javaranch section.

My personal opinions/suggestiens,

JIM Yungst: I do think it would have been good if the bartender who closed your thread had sent a short note to you explaining why.

I felt bad becoz in my thread,THERE WAS'NT ANY ARGUMENTATIVE THING WHICH CAN BE RELATED TO ANYTHING.

So normally i surprised what was behind it.

Now then, if you want to compare us to fascists, you're welcome to find another forum somewhere which is more to your liking.

I never called all bartenders as fascists.They are very good people in my opinion except ONE(my opinion).I just doubted it to ONE bartender who deleted my thread.Becoz there is a specific REASON of my doubt.I never found anything WRONG in my thread which lead a delete.So i wondered the REASON.

However we do try to work together to make this a better place.

That's wat all wanted.A better place.Who creating probloms?.ME??.Or the bartender who deleted my thread?.

Paul Wheaton:So what you are saying is that you posted something meaningless, and it was deleted ... and you are angry.

I have told BOTH things.

Basha: I can giv u examples of MORE meaningful threads than mine in MD undeleted.

I can giv u examples of LESS meaningful threads than mine in MD undeleted.

I know that I AM NOT THE OWNER OF THE FORUM.But i am a poster.So i can defenitely ask to a bartender about an unjust behavior.

Now AGAIN i am asking that bartender,who deleted my thread,If there is nothing wrong in my thread,To REPOST my thread again.

Max-Habibi wrote a private message to me by saying the reason.But i suspect NOBODY except him think it was a valid reason.It was an IMMATURE reason in my opinion.And in my personal opinion,Max-Habibi does'nt enough qualified for moderating a javaranch forum.

Thanks,
Basha

paul wheaton
Trailboss
IntelliJ IDE Firefox Browser Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I've read this thread thoroughly and I think I have my head fully wrapped around the situation.

I would like to commend the staff on doing an excellent job of moderating MD. Keep up the good work.

Basha, sorry to hear you don't care for our techniques. I hope you find another community that is a better fit for you.

fred rosenberger
lowercase baba
Chrome Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

And in my personal opinion,Max-Habibi does'nt enough qualified for moderating a javaranch forum.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion. But i'm guessing Paul disagrees with you, so you might want to take your thoughts elsewhere. I doubt you'll get much (any?) sympathy here.

p.s. Paul, your .sig cracked me up!!!
[ August 27, 2004: Message edited by: fred rosenberger ]

Jim Yingst
Wanderer
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
And I'll add that while I don't always agree with every call Max makes, I have a lot of respect for him as a person and as a bartender, and I am sure that his actions are motivated by a sincere desire to make the ranch a better place.

Basha, there was nothing wrong with your thread in and of itself. But you had the bad luck to post on a topic that had recently caused some arguments. (Well, a very similar topic had caused arguments.) I didn't see all the posts in the other thread, since the worst were deleted. But if Max saw stuff in the other thread that makes him think the topic would cause further arguments, I trust Max's judgement. Calling him names is not going to convince Paul or me that there's a real problem here.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
basha
I think that you do not understand what Jim had said
discussion with people who just want to argue is just too tiresome.
It is meaningless for you to argue what's wrong with it
Nothing want to say
[ August 27, 2004: Message edited by: siu chung man ]

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic