• Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic

Selecting the winners

 
Ramaswamy Srinivasan
Ranch Hand
Posts: 295
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Ranchers,

First of all, Thanks a lot for selecting my name to be one among the winners list in the Tomcat Forum last week. That's a great opportunity to talk to the Authors of your subject of Interest and the announcement about the book really kindles some thinking in that concerned area.

Also, a step further is the author answering the question.

Now, please calrify the basis, on which the winners are being selected.

Asking this question, just out of curiosity.

Cheers,
Swamy
 
Max Habibi
town drunk
( and author)
Sheriff
Posts: 4118
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Swamy,

We have a program that randomly selects participants who interact with the author. Then we manually filter for common sense. Thus, the author can't win, people who chim in with meaningless little 'me too!' type comments can't win, etc.

M
 
Ramaswamy Srinivasan
Ranch Hand
Posts: 295
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Thanks a lot, Max
 
Kishore Dandu
Ranch Hand
Posts: 1934
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Originally posted by Max Habibi:
Swamy,

We have a program that randomly selects participants who interact with the author. Then we manually filter for common sense. Thus, the author can't win, people who chim in with meaningless little 'me too!' type comments can't win, etc.

M


That means there is some scope for preferential treatment u mean??(when some one is filtered out after selected by the program).
 
Gregg Bolinger
Ranch Hand
Posts: 15304
6
Chrome IntelliJ IDE Mac OS X
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Originally posted by Kishore Dandu:


That means there is some scope for preferential treatment u mean??(when some one is filtered out after selected by the program).


It means, that just like anything else on the ranch, it is moderated. That is to say we make sure that after the program has selected winners, those winners abided by the rules governing the contest. Rules like on topic posts, valid display name, etc.
 
Kishore Dandu
Ranch Hand
Posts: 1934
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Originally posted by Gregg Bolinger:


It means, that just like anything else on the ranch, it is moderated. That is to say we make sure that after the program has selected winners, those winners abided by the rules governing the contest. Rules like on topic posts, valid display name, etc.


So, instead of 4, the program selects like 8.

Then if first 4 are observed to have followed the rules, they get it. If 2 of them does not no5,6 will get it if they have on topic posts??
 
Gregg Bolinger
Ranch Hand
Posts: 15304
6
Chrome IntelliJ IDE Mac OS X
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Originally posted by Kishore Dandu:


So, instead of 4, the program selects like 8.

Then if first 4 are observed to have followed the rules, they get it. If 2 of them does not no5,6 will get it if they have on topic posts??


Actually, I think it might be 10 it selects. But I am not 100% sure on that. Dirk runs the promotion.
 
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic