Win a copy of Testing JavaScript Applications this week in the HTML Pages with CSS and JavaScript forum!
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Bear Bibeault
  • Ron McLeod
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Paul Clapham
Sheriffs:
  • Tim Cooke
  • Liutauras Vilda
  • Junilu Lacar
Saloon Keepers:
  • Tim Moores
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • fred rosenberger
  • salvin francis
Bartenders:
  • Piet Souris
  • Frits Walraven
  • Carey Brown

Running Signed Applet: Some Success, Some Hurdles

 
Greenhorn
Posts: 27
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
With some time, effort and able assitance from java Ranch members, I have written an applet which searches a local hard drive for files whose names match a certain pattern and logs their existence. This compiles and runs nicely on a PC.

I found an excellent resource at the SAS Institute which describes signing an applet by using a test certificate and installing it on a development machine's browser. It includes all instructions along with a sample applet that reads the local system properties and an HTML page to call it -- check it out here.

Using this example, I can compile and run the sample applet and execute it through IE using both the test certificate and also using one I made. When I attempt to run my applet and my certificate, however, nothing happens. The Sun Java Console gives a bunch of messages, ending with "Loading applet...", "Initializing applet..." and "Starting applet..." then seems to hang. The status bar in IE says that the applet is started, but all freeze.

Given the straightforward and complete example and the fact that I receive no error messages, from IE or the console, I am confused as to what to do. To make things easy, I am reproducing the HTML code I am using to call the applet, which is modified from the example from SAS at the URL I posted.

I hope I have clearly and sufficiently documented my problem -- thanks to all who spend time trying to understand this.


[ July 17, 2005: Message edited by: Kevin Brennan ]
 
Rancher
Posts: 43016
76
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Probably has nothing to do with it, but it looks like the HTML would always be malformed. The XMP, OBJECT, EMBED and NOEMBED closing tags are alwas printed, while the corresponding opening tags are conditonally printed. That might throw some browsers off track.
Also, try using ' code="SApplet" ' instead of ' code="SApplet.class" '. The code parameter takes a class name, not a filename; that will confuse some browsers.
[ July 18, 2005: Message edited by: Ulf Dittmer ]
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic