Does anyone know anything about this package? I would like to know if it is available to download, for free. I have been able to download the documentation, but I can't find out where or how to get the Java Speech APIs provided in the javax.speech package.
Well I was intrested too in this package. On searching for it I found that Java just gives the standard and the documentation for java speech. The package is implemented by many third party companies which follow the standard JAVA Speech API for it.
I realize this is an old post. But if like me you found this thread because you were having problems setting up freetts this may help. I created a guide to setting up FreeTTS in netbeans/windows:
1. Run Jsapi.exe, say yes, to unpack jsapi.jar
2. Find your JRE directory, mine was C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_03\jre\lib\ext
3. Copy all the Jars to that directory
4. Check in netbeans your projects properties ie right click on project->properties->libraries->manage platforms and the jars should be listed there. If they are not, restart and hopefully they should now be there.
(See website for screenshot)
5. Copy speech.properties to relevant folder, the example Helloworld will complain telling you which directory. Or you can set the property using: