• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic

Java Communications API tip

 
Craig Demyanovich
Ranch Hand
Posts: 173
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I've struggled to correctly install and use the Java Communications API. After following the directions very carefully and trying a number of ideas from forums like this one around the web, I've finally solved _my_ problem.
I'm running Win2k SP2 and J2SE 1.3.1. In addition, I installed JBuilder 5 Personal. Unfortunately, JBuilder was the culprit. Upon installation, it changed many settings that affected the way I work. I discovered this by running the following program, which I found in one forum that I visited:

In the output, I noticed many paths included JBuilder's compiler, runtime and other tools. Since JBuilder 5 Personal does not allow me to configure SDK's installed, I uninstalled it. Here's the kicker: When I then tried to run the above program from the command line, an error was returned stating that the runtime could not be found in the JBuilder path!!!
I uninstalled and reinstalled J2SE 1.3.1, and all settings were as I expected. I then removed CLASSPATH entries containing comm.jar, placed comm.jar in \Program Files\JavaSoft\JRE\1.3.1\lib\ext, placed javax.comm.properties in \Program Files\JavaSoft\JRE\1.3.1\lib, and placed win32com.dll in \Program Files\JavaSoft\JRE\1.3.1\bin. Finally, I very successfully ran some of the samples included withe the Java Communications API.
While I like JBuilder, it's no longer installed on my machine. I've been using IntelliJ's IDEA and like it better anyway. So beware of JBuilder's control over your settings; I assume solving the problem would've been a little easier if I were running the Professional or Enterprise edition -- maybe someone who is can post a little something about configuring installed SDK's.
I hope this _lengthy_ explanation has been helpful.
Craig
 
Craig Demyanovich
Ranch Hand
Posts: 173
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I must admit to quickly reacting to the problem. JBuilder installs a different version of the J2SE SDK than the current 1.3.1 from Sun. Since the one from JBuilder was installed last, it becomes the default at the command line. You can either change the Registry or reinstall the 1.3.1 SDK to restore settings to the way they were; for me, reinstalling was quickest and easiest at the time.
Craig
 
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
Boost this thread!