I'm trying to read an XML file that has Chinese characters in it & then output it to another XML file. But my output displays ??? when I open it with wordpad/IE.
Using WordPad, I pasted some Chinese characters which I got from website & saved the file as an Unicode document (infile.xml). The input file displays the characters correctly when I opened it with wordpad/IE.
I'd specified the encoding type to be UTF-8 for the output. Am I missing something here?
Chinese characters fall under the Unicode 16-bit character set. By opening your read file as UTF-8, you are in effect splitting the first 8 bits from the input character thus destroying the format of the original 16-bit character. So, if I understand what's going on here correctly, you're reading a 16-bit Unicode character as two 8-bit characters. Possibly, when you re-write the 8-bit characters, the order or endian-ness of the characters gets reversed.
Hope that helps. (Or even makes sense. I need another cup of coffee...)
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for one day. Teach a man to fish, he'll drink all your beer.
Cheers, Jeff (SCJP 1.4, SCJD in progress, if you can call that progress...)
posted 14 years ago
Am still having problems with trying to read a chinese file & output it to another chinese file. This time round, I've used the GB2312 character encoding instead.
The codes remain largely the same, but my input & output files are now htm.
Somehow, when I view the outfile.htm using IE, it still cannot display the characters properly.