• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Tim Cooke
  • Paul Clapham
  • Devaka Cooray
  • Bear Bibeault
Sheriffs:
  • Junilu Lacar
  • Knute Snortum
  • Liutauras Vilda
Saloon Keepers:
  • Ron McLeod
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Moores
  • Tim Holloway
  • Piet Souris
Bartenders:
  • salvin francis
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven

Recruiters are beating down my door

 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 287
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I am starting to seriously wonder how bad the job market for technology professionals really is. I have not updated any of my on-line resumes for over 2 years. Some of them have resumes that are nearly 4 years old! I am getting constant e-mails and phone calls for positions ranging from temporary contract all the way up to full-time.

Where were these folks when I needed a job?

This is in Dallas to, where the job market decided to go just a little further down the toilet than the rest of the country.

Folks, if you can't find a job you're just not looking hard enough!
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 299
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Originally posted by Rob Aught:
I am happy for you. At least some cheerful news after a long time at the ranch.


This is in Dallas to, where the job market decided to go just a little further down the toilet than the rest of the country.


Detroit too rushed all the way down the toilet. However, it seems to be struggling to trickle back. The hiring is modest but the news in the papers these days are more about the layoffs at Ford, GM and now Pfizer.

 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 376
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Originally posted by Rob Aught:
I am starting to seriously wonder how bad the job market for technology professionals really is. I have not updated any of my on-line resumes for over 2 years. Some of them have resumes that are nearly 4 years old! I am getting constant e-mails and phone calls for positions ranging from temporary contract all the way up to full-time.

Where were these folks when I needed a job?

This is in Dallas to, where the job market decided to go just a little further down the toilet than the rest of the country.

Folks, if you can't find a job you're just not looking hard enough!




I agree with you. Well, I don't get emails and phone calls constantly, but I just had to tell the one consulting house that I work with, that I am looking for a change, and she immediately informed me of more than 5 positions for Java. I think the local Java Users Group are also generally informed about such openings, which can be a good starting point for job-seekers.
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 311
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Where were these folks when I needed a job?


If you need a job they can't find you one. If you don't need one then your a possibility. Just give them a try. Then you will again see. They are very picky. They only want a $100 winning lottery ticket and are willing to pay $50.

Interviewing is always a good way to increase your network, too.
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 130
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
The market is really good in the UK.We had a position in our company for someone with 2-3 years experience. The quality of resume's we recieved was sheer junk.We switched the recruiting company to get even worse results.

There was one resume that I liked, but the candidate was gone in no time.We interviewed 7 candidates, over 2 months to finally get one decent recruit.
 
Jason Cox
Ranch Hand
Posts: 287
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I am hoping this means the market may stabilize. Probably wishful thinking. However, we've gone from feast to famine. There was a time before the dotcom craze where a technology professional had a reasonable chance of obtaining a job if they were willing to do the footwork.

I'm not looking for a new job myself, my current company has been extremely good to me. At the same time, I take some comfort in knowing the market is getting better. Although by now most of the people I had concerns for had found jobs by late last year.
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 39
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Originally posted by ab parashar:
The market is really good in the UK.We had a position in our company for someone with 2-3 years experience. The quality of resume's we recieved was sheer junk.We switched the recruiting company to get even worse results.

There was one resume that I liked, but the candidate was gone in no time.We interviewed 7 candidates, over 2 months to finally get one decent recruit.



you forgot to post the position in the "Jobs offered" section of this forum
 
Greenhorn
Posts: 18
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Massachusetts is also a hot spot. They're are a ton of jobs here. Sun and BEA are here as well as the major Financial Institutions.
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 31
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I'm also from Dallas and have been slowly watching the market unfold there. Jobs are beginning to come back, but most of the work seems to be centered upon contract work, however, and full time jobs are relatively scarce.

I'm wondering if this is the norm around the country or specific to our area.
 
Homer Phillips
Ranch Hand
Posts: 311
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

you forgot to post the position in the "Jobs offered" section of this forum


Touche!
 
ab parashar
Ranch Hand
Posts: 130
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Originally posted by Homer Phillips:

Touche!



Have to go "only" through the HR appoved channels...Company policy....
 
Sheriff
Posts: 6037
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Originally posted by Rob Aught:
I am hoping this means the market may stabilize. Probably wishful thinking. However, we've gone from feast to famine. There was a time before the dotcom craze where a technology professional had a reasonable chance of obtaining a job if they were willing to do the footwork.



I'm very concerned about this. I think developers will now say "it's payback time" and we'll get another round of wage inflation, followed by the inevitable bust and an ovrall volitale employment market.

--Mark
 
Jason Cox
Ranch Hand
Posts: 287
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Originally posted by Mark Herschberg:


I'm very concerned about this. I think developers will now say "it's payback time" and we'll get another round of wage inflation, followed by the inevitable bust and an ovrall volitale employment market.

--Mark



I'm with you on that one. Despite what they say, greed is not good. I think it made the dotcom bust that much more painful. At the same time, I know quite a few people who still think they deserve their dotcom salaries and feel cheated that the market won't give it to them.
 
Homer Phillips
Ranch Hand
Posts: 311
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

At the same time, I know quite a few people who still think they deserve their dotcom salaries and feel cheated that the market won't give it to them.


Professionals and technical people always seem to get the pitch that their reward is something akin to the pride of doing a good job. In comparison to a lot of other professions, for a grueling job, I think the dot com dollars were closer to right. I suppose in your opinion, the Cost and Competetive Act of 99 has been a huge success.
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 1324
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
do qualifications matter in your cases?
 
Greenhorn
Posts: 14
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Well I am unemployed so I hope you don't take this as sour grapes but that seems to be the way recruitment consultants (aka sharks or pimps) work....

If you leave a job for another job through an agency then they get a larger slice (percentage of salary tends to be higher for people moving jobs as they usually move to higher salaries) and, most importantly, they create a vacancy in your old position which they can then offer to fill.

From talking to other programmers it seems as though there is a lot of very sharp practise going on in that industry.
 
Homer Phillips
Ranch Hand
Posts: 311
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

do qualifications matter in your cases?


I'm sorry. What do you mean?
 
Jason Cox
Ranch Hand
Posts: 287
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Mike,

If you live in the Dallas area I would be more than happy to connect you to the recruiter I am working with. They have a position that they mistakenly submitted me for (I have no real interest in the company and I have also found out about a potential conflict of interest) that I may have to turn them down. I have heard nothing else on it though, so I don't know if the company decided to pass on me anyway or if they filled the position.

All the same, they have presented two very tempting companies to me. If you are an experienced J2EE programmer with 5+ years experience, they may have something for you. Please send me a private message if you're in the area and I will pass along the information I have.

Also, I see as I write this that I have two PM's that are 11 days old. Oops! I will try to do a better job of checking.
 
Mike Chaffin
Greenhorn
Posts: 14
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Thanks for the thought Rob but I'd guess I'm about 6000 miles away from Dallas across the wee pond.

That is unless there is a Dallas in Yorkshire or Lancashire anyway.
 
Greenhorn
Posts: 3
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hi all!
I found this topic very intersting because I'll move to Dallas next month and I'm looking for information about Java jobs there.
How's the market for female developers in the US? And foreigners?
Thanx!!!
 
Mark Herschberg
Sheriff
Posts: 6037
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Originally posted by Lu Silveira:
Hi all!
I found this topic very intersting because I'll move to Dallas next month and I'm looking for information about Java jobs there.
How's the market for female developers in the US? And foreigners?
Thanx!!! ;)



Lu,

Welcome to JavaRanch. That's a great question you've asked, but it's impolite to hijack a thread (I realize others posting here have let it meander a bit). Please use one thread per question. In other words, you should start a new thread with your question.

--Mark
 
Lu Silveira
Greenhorn
Posts: 3
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Mark,
sorry! I didn't realize I was not being polite.
Thanx for the advice, I'll start another thread.
 
Wait for it ... wait .... wait .... NOW! Pafiffle! A perfect tiny ad!
Java file APIs (DOC, XLS, PDF, and many more)
https://products.aspose.com/total/java
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic