• Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic

HSQLDB vs MySql

 
Tad Dicks
Ranch Hand
Posts: 264
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
We need to a database for a project at work (desktop application). My boss wanted/s to use MySQL b/c she's familiar with it, but I just think its a little to "heavy" for a desktop application (I think it would be a pain to install it on every machine, and using it centrally would be usefule for about 10% of the database work but a lot of overhead for the other 90%). Ideally I want to run two databases one local and one central "shared."

But my boss is worried that there might be issues with HSQLDB as it isn't as widely adopted as MySql (she's never heard of it, and its only 2 years old?).

Are her fears/worries justified? What limits does it have? It won't need to handle 1000's of connections (or even 100's). I'm thinking 20-30 tops (for the shared part). But the table sizes could get pretty large. Is it very stable? Are there any/many bugs?

I'd like to hear any opinions/experiences good or bad.

-Tad
 
Bear Bibeault
Author and ninkuma
Marshal
Pie
Posts: 65342
97
IntelliJ IDE Java jQuery Mac Mac OS X
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Have you read this topic? Might be helpful.
 
Tad Dicks
Ranch Hand
Posts: 264
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Thanks for the link.


-Tad
 
Adeel Ansari
Ranch Hand
Posts: 2874
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Originally posted by Bear Bibeault:
Have you read this topic? Might be helpful.


With some of my little previous knowledge and after reading above mentioned link, I reached to the point that HSQLDB best suits with sample apps and might not good in production environment. MySql can be used in production environment though.
[ February 16, 2005: Message edited by: Adeel Ansari ]
 
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic