Right before that line, I print out the query and the params: qryUpdateMDRequestHeader = update md_request_hdr set auth_user_id=?, auth_date=?, additional_instructions=?, pickup_inst ructions=?, req_pickup_date=? where customer_id=? and tracking_number=? params = v050754 09/04/2006 08:58:30 None None 09/11/2006 VzEast MD5127357
I had print lines in the executeSQl as well and know it was reaching there as well.
What I do not see is the executeSQL line " System.out.println("modified rows " + retValue);"
Nor do I ever see the "ERROR" line printout. I had also added a line to the finally of the executeSQL to print out rowsUpdated which equalled -1.
Yet the code keeps going, never throws an exception and continues the rest of the processing.
I've copied and pasted the sql into Golden32 (oracle sql program) and the query runs find with the params passed and updates the table.
Any thoughts at all as to either how I can troubleshoot this or what may be occurring?
If I had to guess, I'd say an Exception (other than SQLException) is being thrown inside the try clause before the println().
Add this code after catch(SQLException e) clause:
And run the program again.
Since you aren't catching the Exception, the Exception is passing up through the call stack until some other method catches it. This is why you don't see the ERROR and modified rows messages -- your methods don't get a chance to complete. [ September 04, 2006: Message edited by: Scott Johnson ]
Same issue came by as in, my oracle connection would go upto jdbcTemplate.executeUpdate() and then nothing, no error/exception no thread to debug.
So I closed my oracle sql developer, then tried persisting, so it worked. It seems as the oracle DB is logged in by the java as Functional user and then if one has sql developer open at the same time, the oracle connection sessions seem to get overridden so sessions get locked.
There could be more to this but stopping the sql developer at the time worked and it is still working and gives error sometimes when you have stopped a java program that opened a connection but didnt yet finish before you terminate it. I am sure there are timeouts to unused connections or locked connection. try stopping the oracle sql developer.
It's probably not a locked session, but more an active transaction. I've seen it happen too many times - I make changes in SQL Developer, forget to commit, and my application either hangs (for insert, update and delete statements) or gives stale results (for select statements). Just click on the commit button and you should see progress in your application.