Didn't know where to post this particular message...
1. What are others' thoughts regarding Sun's decision to open source Java technology?
2. Does this mean that future certifications are going to become invalid because the specs will be changing constantly?
3. Will this spawn many new flavors of Java (kind of like what happened with linux)? (e.g. SuseJava, WinJava, RedHat Java)
Personally, I think that the decision to open source Java is a great idea for several reasons:
1. I believe it helps promote adoption of Java in the world.
2. Will definitely benefit developers who want it to become faster.
3. Hopefully, this will enable J2ME on OS X
What are everyone's thoughts? The only bad thing I see is how will they be able to test (via certification) professionals if anyone can change it? Perhaps we should start a new area for Open Source Java?