Win a copy of Kotlin in Action this week in the Kotlin forum!
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic

JDO and Entity Beans  RSS feed

 
vikasids sharma
Ranch Hand
Posts: 157
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
what are Java Data objects and how they differ from Entity beans?
 
Pradeep bhatt
Ranch Hand
Posts: 8933
Firefox Browser Java Spring
 
Chris Mathews
Ranch Hand
Posts: 2712
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
JDO is a specification for transparent persistance of Java Objects. JDO's focus is much broader than Entity Beans and therefore it is not really a direct competitor. However, JDO was created with the intention of integrating nicely with J2EE environments.
Unfortunately, JDO is not a part of J2EE and therefore it is not available "out of the box" with most Application Servers. The exception will be JBoss 4.x whenever it is released. The two market leading J2EE vendors, BEA and IBM, have not committed to supporting JDO so it is still questionable as to how quickly it will be adopted.
 
Pradeep bhatt
Ranch Hand
Posts: 8933
Firefox Browser Java Spring
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I think JDO spec is not yet finalized. Am I right?
 
Chris Mathews
Ranch Hand
Posts: 2712
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Originally posted by Pradeep Bhat:
I think JDO spec is not yet finalized. Am I right?

The JDO 1.0 Specification has been finalized since April 2002. Furthermore, the JDO Expert group has just begun working on JDO 2.0.
 
vikasids sharma
Ranch Hand
Posts: 157
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
thanks Chris
Originally posted by Chris Mathews:
JDO is a specification for transparent persistance of Java Objects. JDO's focus is much broader than Entity Beans and therefore it is not really a direct competitor. However, JDO was created with the intention of integrating nicely with J2EE environments.
Unfortunately, JDO is not a part of J2EE and therefore it is not available "out of the box" with most Application Servers. The exception will be JBoss 4.x whenever it is released. The two market leading J2EE vendors, BEA and IBM, have not committed to supporting JDO so it is still questionable as to how quickly it will be adopted.
 
bharat nagpal
Ranch Hand
Posts: 76
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
JDO allows to access data from database and persist that, using starndard java Objects. They are much lighter than the entity beans objects, but provides almost same functinality as Entity EJB's.
 
vikasids sharma
Ranch Hand
Posts: 157
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
If in comparsion to entity beans they are much lighter and provides almost same functionality,Why they are not popular among big tycoons like IBM amd BEA?
Originally posted by bhart nagpal:
JDO allows to access data from database and persist that, using starndard java Objects. They are much lighter than the entity beans objects, but provides almost same functinality as Entity EJB's.
 
bharat nagpal
Ranch Hand
Posts: 76
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
because it's still a new concept and companies like IBM take their own time, they might come out with JDO's with next releases, or they may come out with some explanation for using only entity beans.
 
vikasids sharma
Ranch Hand
Posts: 157
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Thanks Nagpal....
 
Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
Boost this thread!