• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Liutauras Vilda
  • Bear Bibeault
  • Junilu Lacar
  • Martin Vashko
Sheriffs:
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Tim Cooke
  • Knute Snortum
Saloon Keepers:
  • Ron McLeod
  • Tim Moores
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
Bartenders:
  • Scott Selikoff
  • salvin francis
  • Piet Souris

How you guys are making the "Originally Posted by.."

 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 3389
Mac MySQL Database Tomcat Server
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hello Ranchers,

Whenever we want to quote the earlier post by someone else, we would make use of "Quote" tags of UBB. But then almost the very first line would be


"Originally Posted by XXXX:".



Since when I saw it in some of the earlier posts, i started following the same practice as it helps to easily identify for whose post this particular reply is made for. While doing so, i used to manually type the aforementioned line.

Is everyone doing the same or is there any other easy alternative to do that? Just wanted to know.
[ August 09, 2007: Message edited by: Raghavan Muthu ]
 
Bartender
Posts: 10336
Hibernate Eclipse IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Originally posted by Raghavan Muthu:
Hello Ranchers,

Whenever we want to quote the earlier post by someone else, we would make use of "Quote" tags of UBB. But then almost the very first line would be



Since when I saw it in some of the earlier posts, i started following the same practice as it helps to easily identify for whose post this particular reply is made for. While doing so, i used to manually type the aforementioned line.

Is everyone doing the same or is there any other easy alternative to do that? Just wanted to know.

[ August 09, 2007: Message edited by: Raghavan Muthu ]



You don't have to manually type the line, just click on the above the post and it will happen as if by magic
 
Raghavan Muthu
Ranch Hand
Posts: 3389
Mac MySQL Database Tomcat Server
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Originally posted by Paul Sturrock:


You don't have to manually type the line, just click on the above the post and it will happen as if by magic



Just testing the same as you have told Paul!

Thank you
 
Bartender
Posts: 1638
IntelliJ IDE MySQL Database Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
On top of every message/reply there is a link with the symbol as quotes(""). If you click this link, the line you are mentioning will come automatically.
It does not come when you use the Quote button at the bottom of the editor.
 
Raghavan Muthu
Ranch Hand
Posts: 3389
Mac MySQL Database Tomcat Server
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Originally posted by Nitesh Kant:
On top of every message/reply there is a link with the symbol as quotes(""). If you click this link, the line you are mentioning will come automatically.
It does not come when you use the Quote button at the bottom of the editor.



Thanks Nitesh. I got it!
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 2308
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I too used to do it the same way earlier , not anymore.


Then I got to know by following the changing parameters to click.It sends the message number and reply number within that post to which we want to create a quote (I guess).
Implemented this in one of the projects.Thanks to the ranch software.
 
Raghavan Muthu
Ranch Hand
Posts: 3389
Mac MySQL Database Tomcat Server
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Originally posted by Rahul Bhattacharjee:
I too used to do it the same way earlier , not anymore.


Then I got to know by following the changing parameters to click.It sends the message number and reply number within that post to which we want to create a quote (I guess).
Implemented this in one of the projects.Thanks to the ranch software.



Means, were you too doing the same Rahul?

Thats a nice thing. I have just now observed it after seeing your post. The value to the 'ubb' parameter says that 'reply' or 'newpost' and the 'replyto' parameter carries the actual post in the thread to be quoted '00004' [good that they anticipated a thread could have a max. of replies in 5 digit count! ;-)].

I dont get one last parameter "&java" which gets added to either "New post or "Post Reply". Is it to mention that its for Java forum?
 
I do some of my very best work in water. Like this tiny ad:
Java file APIs (DOC, XLS, PDF, and many more)
https://products.aspose.com/total/java
  • Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
Boost this thread!