• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Bear Bibeault
Sheriffs:
  • Rob Spoor
  • Henry Wong
  • Liutauras Vilda
Saloon Keepers:
  • Tim Moores
  • Carey Brown
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Piet Souris
Bartenders:
  • Frits Walraven
  • Himai Minh
  • Jj Roberts

Moved to Bench!!!!!!!

 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 275
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hi,

I am having 5+ years of experience in Java/J2EE and recently shifted to Hyderabad from Mumbai (for some personal reasons). I am working with my current company for more than 3 years now. In my 5 years of work experience first time I have been moved to bench. For last 15 days I am on bench and till now, I haven't got any intimation for new project assignment. This is really scarring me.

To prepare for the worst case, I thought I should look for other opportunities, in case I continue to be on bench for another 1 month. But now a days, I dont see much of ads in IT in ascent or any of the job site. I am looking out for Hyderabad location only.

It is the case with Hyderabad only or everywhere in India? Is it bcoz its vacation time and condition will change in Jan.

Let me know your views.

Thanks,
Grishma
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 225
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Originally posted by Grishma Dube:
Hi,

I am having 5+ years of experience in Java/J2EE and recently shifted to Hyderabad from Mumbai (for some personal reasons). I am working with my current company for more than 3 years now. In my 5 years of work experience first time I have been moved to bench. For last 15 days I am on bench and till now, I haven't got any intimation for new project assignment. This is really scarring me.



I feel that it's too early to hit the panic button. Assuming you are in a Services company, a bench period of 1-2 months is quite common.

You are right about not many opportunities appearing in newspapers and the job market is not as hot as last year. But if you are keen, you can find good job listings on job sites. But again, I feel you should take this step after waiting for 2 months.

AK
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 123
Hibernate Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Originally posted by Abhijit Kumar:


I feel that it's too early to hit the panic button. Assuming you are in a Services company, a bench period of 1-2 months is quite common.

You are right about not many opportunities appearing in newspapers and the job market is not as hot as last year. But if you are keen, you can find good job listings on job sites. But again, I feel you should take this step after waiting for 2 months.

AK



I hope because of year end all the companies are doing resource freezing. In Jan again new recruitments may start. Actually, I am also hoping for that So, I will suggest to enjoy the new year party and after that start worring for new job. Happy new Year in advance to Javaranch Family.. chill.
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 463
Eclipse IDE Tomcat Server Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Grishma,

I am also having similar situation like you before. Believe me I was on bench for 17 months. I was assigned with small tasks just to keep me engaged into some activity. I utilized this time to update myself and I got a job in Singapore. So, make sure you utilize your bench time appropriately.

In services company, bench period is quite normal. How long is depends on the circumstances. If you don't like to sit on bench at all, then you may look for any product based company. All the best.
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 628
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
As Sai said use this opportunity to your advantage..You can upgrade your skills...do some certification...You can focus more on your other personal work and business...
[ December 26, 2007: Message edited by: Rambo Prasad ]
 
Grishma Dube
Ranch Hand
Posts: 275
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Thanks for your views.

Regards,
Grishma
 
Greenhorn
Posts: 8
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Originally posted by Sai Surya:
Hi Grishma,

I am also having similar situation like you before. Believe me I was on bench for 17 months. I was assigned with small tasks just to keep me engaged into some activity. I utilized this time to update myself and I got a job in Singapore. So, make sure you utilize your bench time appropriately.

In services company, bench period is quite normal. How long is depends on the circumstances. If you don't like to sit on bench at all, then you may look for any product based company. All the best.



sorry for hijacking this thread. Hey Sai Surya, can you please check you PM.
 
Ranch Hand
Posts: 646
Mac
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator

Originally posted by Sai Surya:
Hi Grishma,

I am also having similar situation like you before. Believe me I was on bench for 17 months. I was assigned with small tasks just to keep me engaged into some activity. I utilized this time to update myself and I got a job in Singapore. So, make sure you utilize your bench time appropriately.

In services company, bench period is quite normal. How long is depends on the circumstances. If you don't like to sit on bench at all, then you may look for any product based company. All the best.



Yes I agree, one of my colleague who was on bench for almost an year got even salary hike. So its very common to sit on bench.
 
There will be plenty of time to discuss your objections when and if you return. The cargo is this tiny ad:
SKIP - a book about connecting industrious people with elderly land owners
https://coderanch.com/t/skip-book
reply
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic